56

"Leigh," I kneel down in front of my sister. "Look at me, Flower."

She shakes her head. "I ruined Christmas," she mumbles. "Kinsley told me to let go of her hand, I just couldn't set my love aside for ten minutes."

"You ruined nothing," Jason sits next to me on the floor. "My aunt Maria ruined it. My aunt Carna said you can come back, okay? Just keep your distance from Maria, it'll be okay."

I reach up to grab her hand. "Listen to me," I whisper. "It's okay to cry. In the year and a half you've lived with us, I've never seen you cry except for when Kinsley broke up with you a few weeks ago. You need to let it out, sweetheart."

"No."

"No?"

"I will not be vulnerable to anyone any longer."

"Give us a minute?"

Jason nods, "come on, guys. Let's go ask the guy to call us a cab at the front."

Once everyone is out of the room- including Kinsley- Leigh finally let's it go. She lets everything that's been bottled up. "I'm sorry," she cries.

"Baby," I whisper. I climb up next to her on the couch. She leans against my shoulder and I wrap my arms around her. "It's okay, Leigh, I promise. My poor girl," I kiss her forehead.

"I'm so sick of everyone judging me," she mumbles. "I don't want it anymore."

I rub her back gently. "That's life, baby. Everyone is going to judge you, you'll never make anyone happy.  It makes you the better person to turn your cheek the other way. You need to keep your head high, Leigh, you're such a beautiful, smart girl- don't let irrelevant people get to you. Are you happy with Kinsley?"

"Of course, I am," she wipes her tears away.

"Then don't let people get you down. Let this go, baby, okay? We're going to have a great Christmas. Abel and Kiera are coming tomorrow and they're bringing Savannah with them, it's going to be so fun."

"Thanks, Nes."

"Of course," I stand up. "Come on," I hold my hands out to help her up.

«» «» «»

I lay beneath Jason with my lips against his. His tongue parts my lips to have a small battle in our mouths. A knock on the door makes us both groan. He moves next to me, leaning against his elbows. "It's open," he says to the person.

Leigh walks in with Kinsley behind her. Kinsley grins. "Ask them, babe," she pushes Leigh gently.

"What if they say no?" She mumbles, looking at her feet.

"They won't, ask them."

I sit up as well as my husband. "What's up?" I look at my sister with furrowed eyebrows.

She has tears streaming down her face. "Leigh, what's wrong?" Jason asks.

Kinsley wraps her arms around her girlfriend. "Calm down, would you? Just ask them, the worst they can do is say no."

Leigh pushes her way out of Kinsley's arms. "You guys have been there for me way more than my real– biological parents have. I can't even say real because you are my real parents. But I– here," she hands us a folded packet of papers.

I take them from her. The words at the top of the forms makes me smile.

ADOPTION OF LEIGH BENNET

"My mother already signed it and my father is deceased. It's up to you if you want to or not. I won't be mad or anything. I just–"

"We'll sign it," Jason says for me.

"Really?"

"Of course," I giggle, "come here."

She climbs into my arms. I kiss her head. "Does that mean I can call you guys... ya know... mom and dad?"

Jason smiles at her. "If that's what you want, Princess."

Kinsley grins as she watches us. Leigh lays her head on my shoulder. "I'm sorry about today, guys. I know you're going to tell me it's okay and that it isn't my fault, but I'm sorry." She looks between us.

"Babe–" Kinsley starts.

"Leigh," I sigh heavily, "stop apologizing, okay? We don't even want to hear it anymore. You didn't do anything wrong."

"Babe, let's give them sometime alone. We clearly interrupted something."

"No, you didn't," Jason tells her.

Kin rolls her eyes. "Jason, I know the look when someone interrupts you. You're staring at Nezther like she's a piece of meat," she says as Leigh starts to get up.

"She's about to take my meat."

"JASON!" I scream at him.

Everyone laughs around me as my face turns red. The girls say goodnight and walk out. I cover my face with the blanket. "Baby," Jason pokes my stomach. "Ba~by," he carries out the a.

"Stop," I whine as he tries to pull the blanket away from my face.

"Fine." He crawls under the blanket and positions himself on top of me. "Baby," he pouts when I turn my face so he can't see me.

"You're literally so embarrassing," I mumble.

He kisses my neck. "I know, baby, I'm horrible." I nod in agreement. "I'm so bad, we should just go to bed." 

"No," I grab his shoulders.

"Oh?" He raises his eyebrows.

"You started, now you have to finish."