Chapter 13 : Fool

It's been three months since that party. John and I are going steady I guess you could say. So are Elvis and Priscilla.
This strikes me as odd, Elvis never falls for girls so young. There's ten years difference between them, she's younger than me! By only a year.

But Elvis seems happy.

The other night, Priscilla walked up the stairs to his bedroom, and he later followed.

Almost every time we have a party or get together, they'll stay downstairs for awhile, then they'll disappear for the rest of the night.

One night, Elvis and I were in the kitchen. I was cleaning up and he was sat at the table, a Pepsi in hand.

" Lizzie? "

I turn my attention away from the dishes and lean back against the sink.

" Yeah? " I casually say, drying my hands off with a dish towel.

" What do ya think of Cilla? "

I didn't know what to say. I thought briefly for a second.

" Uh, she's really nice. She's awful quiet, keeps to herself. Kinda like me. " I chuckle.

Elvis grins, smiling down at his Pepsi. His face grows serious, but still appears soft.

" Do ya think... Momma would've liked her?"

He asks, looking at me now.

My breath hitches. We haven't talked about Momma much. It's not that we completely forgot about her. We're just afraid of all that pain coming back.

Tears sting behind my eyes.

" I think Momma would've loved her, Elly. "

He gently smiles at me, his eyes sad.

I turn back to the dishes and start to change the subject.

" Have you talked to Anita lately, Elvis? It's been awhile since you've gotten a letter from her. "

" Oh, uh she's been writing alright. It's just... since I met Cilla... I feel confused. "

" Confused how? "

" I still love Anita, but I think I'm starting to love Cilla too. "

I set the dishes down and walk over to where Elvis is and sit across from him.

" You know you can't have both, right? " I say, placing my hand on top of his.

He chuckles and places his other hand on mine.

" You're starting to sound like my big sister now, Liz bug. "

I smile up at him.

His tone changes again, back to serious.

" I don't know what to do, Lizzie. "

For the first time since Momma died, he sounds completely vulnerable, and almost helpless.

" Just follow your heart, E. I know it's not much advice, but that's all I can really think of. "

He brings my hand up to his lips and kisses it, then places it back down, my hand still in his.

" No, it's great advice, Lizzie. Thank ya, honey. "