Chapter 9 : Momma Liked the Roses

* 9:00 p.m. August 13th, 1958 *

I woke up two hours later in the same position as when I fell asleep. I looked up at Elvis, who seemed to have fallen asleep as well. Sitting up, I glanced at the clock on the side coffee table, I realized it was 9:00.

" Elvis, Elvis wake up! "

I whispered and shook Elvis, trying to wake him up. His eyes slowly opened, and realized he was being shaken. I hadn't realized that he had woken up, so he put his hands on my arms to stop me.

" Whoa, whoa, Lizzie girl. I'm awake. "

" Sorry, Elly. I just want to get back to the hospital and see Momma. Maybe she's awake, maybe she's feeling better and they're releasing her right now! Ma- "

Elvis playfully cupped his hand over my mouth, cutting me off mid-sentence.

" Slow your horses there, girly. Don't get your hopes up too high. "

We both got up and Elvis got the keys to his car that Lamar drove earlier, and left for the hospital.

Elvis and I walked to Momma's room, hand in hand. Before we reached the threshold, I let go of Elvis's hand and ran to the door, opened it and rushed to Momma's side.

I saw she was asleep, but I took her hand in mine anyway. A pair of large, strong hands fell on my shoulders. I gently touched one of his hands on my shoulders with my free hand. We stayed like that for a couple minutes before Daddy walked in. Elvis and I just continued to stay the way we were ; me sat in the chair by Momma's bed, holding her hand and Elvis behind me. We hadn't even moved an inch when we heard the door open.

" Have the Doctors said anything? " Elvis asked Daddy, his expression blank but his voice filled with emotion.

" No. Nothing new. " Daddy replied with the same tone of voice. The three of us were silent for a minute, before Momma slowly started to open her eyes. Our faces lit up with relief.

" Momma. " I whispered before laying my head against her chest, hearing her heart beat against my ear.

" Hi, baby. " her voice was raspy, but still had that loving tone to it. She motioned for Elvis to come to her other side, which he obediently did. He knelt down on one knee and took Momma's hand.

" How're ya feeling, Momma? "

" I'm feeling better, baby. Did y'all get some sleep? " she asked, directed mostly towards me.

" Yeah, we went home a couple hours ago and slept. We just wanted to come back and tell you goodnight. "

I brought my head up from Momma's chest and kissed her forehead.

" Goodnight, Momma. I love you, we'll be back in the morning. Right, Elly? " I looked up expectantly at my older brother.

" Sure will, bright and early tomorrow morning. Love ya, Sattnin. " Elvis bent down and kissed her forehead.

" Love you too, boy. And Lizzie, we better start planning on your birthday party soon, huh? Your birthdays coming up in a few days. "

I completely forgot. I've been so worried sick over momma and Elvis both, I forgot about my own birthday. Daddy came in a few moment later and told us we should get on home. Elvis and I both bid Daddy and Momma goodbye again, before heading back to the house.