“Wh-who’s there? Where am I?” I cried out.

“Tut, tut, tut Valerie. Now is not the time for questions” the voice replied. The voice was a deep growl of a man who spoke as though he had all the time in the world. He was dangerous. Even without knowing who he was or what he looked like, I could sense that he was not someone to mess with.

“Where are you!” I shouted, tired of his games. I was not in the mood to be toyed with.

A malicious chuckle broke out, multiplying the echoes down the tunnels and a large hooded figure stepped out from a shadowed corner. He was tall with a dark maroon cloak with a hood that obscured all his face besides his evil smirk. Only his pale white hands peaked out from the folds of his disguise.

“What do you want?” I gasped in terror stepping backwards to somehow escape his hidden stare.

“Why dear Valerie... I want you” he answered with a smile displaying his yellowing pointed teeth.

Then he clawed forward at my throat.

I screamed.

I screamed and screamed and thrashed around unable to move my bounded legs.

“Val! Valerie! Wake up!”

Someone was slapping my face and I woke with a start gasping beautiful fresh air. Helena was sitting on my bed hugging me tight and whispering that everything was alright, that I was safe and I was only having a nightmare.

“It was just a nightmare... just a nightmare sweety. Shh...” she rocked me back and forth like a mother consoling her scared child.

I was crying now and my breath hitched with every intake. It took another half hour of Helena consoling me before my sobs ceased. My throat felt raw and my nose was blocked but I was feeling a lot better.

“Thanks Helena. I’m so sorry you had to see me like that.” I sniffed. “I’ll be okay, you can go back to sleep”

She looked at me warily for a few seconds before asking if I was sure. I nodded and offered her a slight smile before she gave me another tight hug and slipped back into her bed.

I sighed. There was no way in hell I was going back to sleep tonight.

***

The next day were the classes we missed out on yesterday so I was able to down a few cups of coffee to wake myself up before heading off to Abilities Tutorial. There was a select few students here instead of the large amounts of people I was used to and I pulled a face when both Max and Helena weren’t in this class.

Derrek was though. Great...

The room was similar to the classrooms in high school so I plonked myself down on the back corner desk and began doodling on my notebook again. I heard the legs of the chair beside me scrape against the floor and the woody smell of the person enveloped me.

I glanced at my neighbour and slumped in my seat.

“What are you doing?” I sneered at Derrek. I really wasn’t in the mood for his antics.

“ Sitting” he grumbled back.

“Whatever. Just don’t bug me”

 “Good afternoon class! I’m sorry I’m late woah-!” A short lady that I’m assuming was our teacher bustled into the classroom and tripped over her feet tumbling onto the ground sending papers flying into the air.

Oh my God! I stood up to help her but the girls in front of the class were already helping her up.

“Oh my... thank you my dears” she said popping her extra large glasses back on. Her glasses magnified her eyes and her think lips curved into a kind smile.