Chapter sixteen

During the next months, Gerard and Frank canoodled in private, giggling and just enjoying love. Mikey got over his jealousy eventually. Writing the letter helped, he thought, especially since he confessed his feelings for Pete on that paper. Now, no matter what, Pete would know. 

He was happy for them, really, but that didn't make it any more bearable when Frank kicked him out of the tent for half an hour so he and Gerard could have some alone time. He knew they deserved it, since they were constantly surrounded by other men in this place, but it annoyed him to an extent. 

He'd never forget when he returned to the tent one afternoon after their thirty minutes were up and finding Gerard asleep on Frank's lap, both of them naked. Luckily they had a blanket covering them, it was freezing cold even in the tent, where they had a small fire to heat things up, but when Frank awoke with a jolt and started reaching for his clothes, having spotted Mikey, he quickly understood what had just gone on.

He wasn't mad, they were both adults and could do what they wanted, but it hit him then that he would likely never get to have sex with someone other than himself, and even then, privacy was limited, very limited. That was the first time he had felt jealousy since they got together. It was yet another thing Mikey would never get to experience that Gerard got to indulge in all the time. 

The glowing, giddy expression on Gerard's face for the rest of the day kind of made up for that, though. Seeing someone Mikey cared about so much being so happy even though they were in a terrible, tragic situation made him feel just a little bit of the bittersweet happiness that Gerard embodied. Still, he wished he could feel that same way eventually. But the chances of that happening were so low, considering he was 'saving himself' for someone who would probably never come save him. But he couldn't ever imagine betraying Pete like that, not after all the time it took for him to realize how badly he wanted him. He felt dedicated to him. 

Mikey finished writing the letter within a week of starting it. He read it over every night that he could, though, because he wanted it to be perfect and always wondered if he should add something else. The paper was getting worn out from that, and he worried that he would have to write up another cope eventually. The letter had the addition of a few new paragraphs, reading:

A very peculiar thing happened once I arrived at the training camp, Camp Wood. I was sent off to my bunk where I would sleep temporarily before I was assigned a tent, when a man who looked very much like my brother, Gerard, was sitting on the upper bunk. His name is also Gerard Way. I have been getting to know him during my time here, and I believe that the rift in time caused by me being here has led this to happen. 

He is very much like my brother in demeanor and idiosyncrasy, however, I do not believe we are biologically related. He has no memory of me from his childhood and he is an only child. He never talks much about his parents or family, either, so perhaps he only remembers the basics because he doesn't have a real past. He has no idea that I am his brother, nor that I am from the future.

He has a boyfriend in this camp, Frank Iero. I feel as though I recognize him but that could just be because I expect to. He and Gerard were good friends before I arrived at the camp. Now, the three of us are all very great friends. We have promised each other to try and get together once our service and/or the war is over. Perhaps if this Gerard and Frank work together so nicely, my brother should be on the lookout for handsome strangers by the name of Frank Iero. The two of them make me wish it were possible to be with Pete, whom I miss so much it hurts.

Frank will be leaving for war in a month. He and Gerard will not be communicating during their services, so their relationship does have a due date. I do not envy them in that respect. I think I will miss Frank when he leaves. He is a good friend and he makes Gerard very happy.