Chapter one

"Heyyy, Mikes, you're clearly not here, I mean, obviously, otherwise you'd answer your Mez, since your favourite brother is on the other line. Anyways, just call me back, I'm in a bit of trouble here, and I don't know who to call other than you. Just call me back, don't call mom or dad, or anyone. I promis-"

Gerard's voice was cut off after that, the Message having hit its limit, but Mikey understood the content. His eyebrows furrowed. Why would Gerard make such a point of making sure that Mikey didn't call their parents? It wasn't part of his plan at all, but now he was considering telling them.

He shook his head, Gerard needed him right now. He tapped on his brother's contact, Gerard's smiling face flashing across his vision for a couple seconds before the face was in motion. He looked up and waved at Mikey.

"Hey!"

Mikey furrowed his brows. Gerard was standing outside, somewhere downtown Mikey didn't recognize. He was wearing a thin leather jacket, but he was visibly shivering. It wasn't that cold out, though, Mikey realized. It was only December, the leaves were just falling off the branches. Thanks to global warming during the past century or so, snow was a serious rarity. It hadn't snowed in Mikey's or Gerard's lifetime, though Gerard was hopeful.

"Where are you? Why are you shivering?" Mikey asked worriedly.

"Oh, I don't know, I just walked somewhere out here. Listen, I need a place to stay for a while, Mikes. I hate to do this to you, but I can't stay in my apartment anymore. I can sleep on the couch. I promise, at some point, I'm going to pay you back for however long I stay, I just don't know when-"

"Gee, it's fine. Can you get an address where I can meet you?" Mikey said, gathering his things to get onto the monorail.

"Um, yeah, I'm standing at the corner of First and Theodosia street."

"Okay, I'm getting on the monorail now," Mikey told him, grabbing his key.

"Oh, one more favour, Mikes? I don't have my card to pay for the monorail, could you possibly buy me a ticket for the way back?" Gerard winced, realizing how mooch-y he sounded. But it wasn't like he could help it, all he had was a suitcase with some of his stuff in it.

To his relief, Mikey nodded and grabbed his wallet. "Alright, I'm on my way. See you later, and stay warm, dickhead. If you end up getting a cold, I'll end up getting a cold, and then I can't work and it'll screw everything up."

Gerard laughed and ended the call. He looked at his small suitcase, that contained only some of his clothes and personal belongings, as he had forgotten his card back in his apartment. Maybe he could go back and get it, after all, he still had the key card to the apartment and he technically was still a tenant until midnight. He decided that it was probably a good thing to have his money on him and started walking back in the direction of the apartment, trying to remember where he turned so he could find the building again.

As he did so, he wrote a message to his brother.

GAWay: going to get my wallet, if I'm not there when you get there, just wait a sec, I'll show up eventually!

He ran the rest of the way to his apartment, ignoring the wind biting at his face and the looks from passerbys. It wasn't all that odd to see someone running, after all, not everybody could afford the monorail. The people glaring were mostly upperclassmen who don't understand why someone would be running somewhere if everywhere was at most a two minute walk from a monorail station.

He got to his apartment fairly quickly, all the walking he had done on the way there wasn't actually that much if you weren't walking slowly like he was. As the corner he had been standing on got closer and closer, he could just see the monorail pulling up and a dozen passengers coming out, one of them he identified as Mikey. Immediately his face lit up. Now that he awkwardness of staying at his place had worn off, Gerard was excited to be spending more than an afternoon with his brother. Mikey was probably going to be at work for most of their days, but Gerard didn't mind.