Chapter Fourteen

I quickly turn on the light and I'm met with a red faced Hazel.

She needs air, now.

I quickly rush into action. I throw the covers off of me, making them practically fall off the hospital bed. I stumble over to the wall near the door and repeatedly hit the red 'Emergency Help' button.
"C'mon, c'mon!" I mumble angrily under my breath, my anxiety getting higher as I hear Hazel sputtering and gasping for breath.

Not even two minutes later, two doctors rush in surveying the room. They look at me; hair everywhere, wearing a Journey t-shirt and joggers, half asleep. Then Hazel; kicking around in her small cot, red-faced, sweating and screaming and gasping.
"S-she can't b-breath!" I rasp, practically out of breath myself.

The doctors immediately go into action.
"Can you get me the nose blower?" One doctor says to the other. They have the surgical masks on, so I can only see their eyes. Once the doctor gets the nose blower, he sits a screeching Hazel up, supporting her back with one glove-covered hand. He tries to give her a couple minutes to see if her sinuses will clear from the movement; helping her to breathe again.

Hazel's breathing slows a little bit. She's still gasping but her face isn't as red anymore, which is a major improvement. And it also helps my state of complete and utter panic.
"Can you blow for me, Hazel?" The male doctor says softly, holding the small tube to her nose. I look hopefully at her, hoping she'll cooperate and understand what she needs to be doing. However, instead of blowing, she lets out a high-pitched sneeze, causing a long dribble of unhealthy looking snot slide down her nose, to her lips, and even to her chin. I have to look away, as I'm squeamish like that.

The doctor smiles.....I think? I can't tell from the mask. He takes a tissue and carefully wipes away the snot and mucus, making sure that none made it to her mouth. As the doctor wipes, Hazel squirms in his hold, trying to escape the tissue on her hot face. The doctor stops for a minute, letting her collect herself for a brief moment. At the loss, Hazel makes grabby hands towards me. I look at the doctor for approval and quickly rush to my baby's awaiting chubby arms.

I wrap my bare arms around her's and pick her up. Swaying her and peppering kisses all over her scalp. However, she continues to whimper, so I shift her weight, and realise that her diaper is wet. I quickly grab a new diaper, wipes, and rash cream from the bag that I brought; a task that proves to be difficult while holding Hazel. I lay Hazel on a small table in the corner of the room, not caring that the doctors are still in here, having a medical conversation with each other, using words that I didn't even know were in the English vocabulary.

"You're such a brave girl, Hazel. You'll get better in a few days and then we can go home a cuddle all day if you want. Won't that be nice, monkey?" I coo, distracting her as I open her diaper and get right to work on cleaning her up.

I dispose of the used diaper in a small trash can next to the table. Then, I take a wipe and try to warm it up in my hands by rubbing my hands together with the wipe in between. As I wipe her, she starts whimpering slightly and squirming.
"Shhh, it's okay, it's okay!" I coo in a high-pitched voice, feeling bad for making my baby uncomfortable.

I finish cleaning her and put some rash cream on her bits and sprinkle some powder on too. I tape a fresh Winnie The Pooh diaper on her.
"There, all clean, princess!" I say excitedly, kisses her stomach loudly, making Hazel giggle slightly for the first time in what seems like forever. I can't help but let out a chuckle as well. She always lightens by mood with her bubbly presence.