Flashback

THE COURT OF MARSEILLES, a celebration of some kind was being held outside the Count de Martel's castle, where the entire court had gathered in the yard. Music was being played on instruments nearby, and guests mingled at the various stations.

There were tables laden with fruit, bread, and cheese set up next to a practice field, where several women, including Aurora, were kneeling in the grass together. The women watched with interest as Elijah and Tristan practiced throwing axes at wooden circles propped up several meters away, clapping in amusement when their axe hits its target.

Near one of the tables, Klaus sat in a chair, where he was whittling a horse figurine from a block of wood. His sister, Blair sat beside him looking incredibly bored.

'My memory of Lucien goes back to a time when our family was happy

'My memory of Lucien goes back to a time when our family was happy. Things were good... Or, as good as things could be as vampires hiding in plain sight. Everyone in Marseilles was held in the thrall of the Count's arrogant son Tristan and his sister, the Lady Aurora.'

Lucien caught Aurora's eye from across the yard and smiled at her. She returned the smile, which did not escape Tristan's notice. when he turned to see Lucien staring at Aurora, he became visibly annoyed. Aurora did her best to pretend like she wasn't interacting with him before Tristan walked away.

'In hindsight, I could have done more to prevent what was to follow. But then, even an endless life cannot be played in reverse.'

Lucien timidly approached Klaus and Blair, smiling at the sight of Blair. Klaus noticed, raising an eyebrow at Lucien in amusement. Lucien quickly looked down to see Klaus' wooden horse.

"Impressive work, my lord!" Lucien smiled.

"It's a trifle meant to pass a dull day. But, I'll take it, along with the word of a friend!" Klaus said, looking bored.

Klaus smiled at Lucien, who looks both anxious and excited.

"It is as a friend that I come to you now. There is something that I must ask of you." Lucien said bashfully.

Klaus gave him a wary look and watched as Lucien pulled a folded piece of parchment from the satchel attached to his belt and held it out to him. Blair watched in interest.

"For the Lady Aurora." Lucien announced quietly. "If you would deliver this to her in secret, I would be eternally grateful."

"Are these declarations of love?" Blair asked, smirking at the fact Lucien didn't know Aurora was smitten with her brother, Klaus.

Klaus smiled falsely at Lucien, sending a glare his sisters way.

"It's a... bold move..." Blair said, taking a sip of wine from her goblet.

Klaus, unable to mask his displeasure at this request, took a swig of his wine too.

Lucien became even more nervous as he once again looked over at Aurora, who was standing next to Tristan, then back to Blair. Tristan had his arm around Aurora's shoulders, and both smiled as they socialised.

"Oh, we shared affection for one another as children. But, since then, my station in life has prevented me from declaring my intentions." Lucien spoke, nervously fiddling with his fingers.

He still stared at Aurora, who saw him watching her and smiled affectionately at him.

"If she would leave this place with me--" Lucien was cut of by Klaus, who looked alarmed and stood up staring at him intensely.

"Not an idea I would advise." Klaus said as he squeezed Lucien's shoulder affectionately.

"Besides, my family needs you." Blair said as she smiled warmly at Lucien, unaware of how it made Lucien feel when she said he was needed.

"Well, your family's stay here cannot last much longer anyhow." Lucien stated, his smile fading. "Not given your brother Kol's... decadence. The local villagers believe they are beset by demons! Soon, you'll need to run."

Klaus looked as though he was about to interrupt, but Lucien became excited at the prospect of leaving and decided to speak once again.

"Aurora and I can run with you! Aid you in your endeavours!" Lucien seemed ecstatic, holding out the note once more.

"Niklaus, please-- I would give her the note myself, but Tristan's jealousy is tyrannical. I cannot go near her." Lucien pleaded.

Klaus looked over at Aurora, clearly torn between helping him and maintaining the status quo.

"But you? You need not fear him, or anyone!" Lucien said.

"Come on Klaus. Surely you know what it's like to be in love." Blair mocked, enjoying Klaus's suffering. "Oh wait you can't because your a heartless twit."

Klaus sighed and hesitated for a moment before taking the folded note from him and smiling, sending his sister a glare.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

I'm a bit iffy with this chapter but I guess it's fine and once I finish the story I will edit it and try and improve my shitty writing skills

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Vote please