Chapter Three

Pidge didn't know that swinging wood all day could be so exhausting. Day in and day out, they all awoke around the second sunrise -- she was still trying to figure out all of the logistics of a system with three suns -- and trained all day, with small breaks scattered in there. Pidge had always hated physical activity, and being on Toumia had solidified that hate into something else.  She wasn't quite sure what it was. Yet. 

"I think it's time to move on from forming group unity, for now. Get into pairs, and start sparring with them," said Tuaste.

"What are we supposed to use as weapons?" asked Lance.

Tuaste stared at him blankly. "The trainers. Obviously."

"Well, yeah, but I kind of want to use my gun." Lance grinned, and Pidge was reminded of a sprite. She could have sworn that, for a moment, Lance had pointed ears. 

"We will get to using your Bayards at a future date," said Tuaste. "However, one of you will have to sit out for this round of sparring. Any volunteers?"

Both Pidge and Hunk's arms flew into the air at the same time. Pidge rose on her tip-toes and waved her arm around, trying to get taller and Tuaste's attention. 

Tuaste looked between the two of them. "Is there a common way on your world to settle disputes?"

"Rock, Paper, Scissors!" shouted Lance.

Hunk grinned at Pidge. "You're on." They turned to face each other. "Are we doing Shoot?"

"Oh, yeah," said Pidge, rubbing her hands together. "You're going down, Hunk."

"I doubt that."

"Two outta three?"

"Two outta three."

The other Paladins crowded around Pidge and Hunk as they pounded their fists atop their hands.

"Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shoot!"

Both were Rock.

"Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shoot!"

Again, both were rock.

"Ooo, this is getting intense," said Lance.

"What is the point of this?" asked Tuaste.

"Rock beats Scissors, Scissors beat Paper, and Paper beats Rock," said Shiro. "It's a common game on Earth. I think they even have competitions for it."

"I am so confused," whispered Tuaste.

"Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shoot!"

Both were Paper.

Pidge resisted the urge to use her Disney Villain laugh. 

"Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shoot!"

This time, Hunk had Scissors, but Pidge's hand made a finger gun. 

"I didn't know we were playing street rules," said Hunk. "I declare that unfair."

Pidge shrugged. "You gotta do what you gotta do to stay alive."

"I will admit," said Tuaste, "that I am intrigued by this game."

"Then I say that doesn't count," said Hunk.

"It counts," said Shiro. 

"Says who?"

"Have you seriously never played against Pidge? She knows more about this game than anyone does."

"I got it all off of the Internet," said Pidge, feeing very smug. 

"Ugh. Fine. Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shoot!"