Chapter Forty-four

Start from the beginning

Connor laughed "Not yet, I am just giving you a heads up that I was planning on asking her" this pleased his dad who strode up to his son and slapped him hard on the back "Ouch!" Connor yelled as his dad had a habit of forgetting his strength. "I am going to buy a ring today, but wasn't sure what to get, I want it to be perfect!" he said in a slight alpha tone to try to calm things down, at this rate it will be 10 o'clock. "Well it has to be something simple, she doesn't seem the sort to need anything over the top...she's beautiful enough" his mum beamed "Why not get her a cluster ring with a sapphire in the centre surrounded by diamonds...not a huge one but a decent sized one, you still want others to see that she's taken right" she grinned.

"So when are you off then son" his dad asked trying to change the subject before his wife passed out with wedding overload, she will soon be in her element annoying Adelaide with endless questions. "We will head off after the meeting...oh shit!" Connor apologised for his language before rushing off, the meeting was on half an hour and he wanted to have some time with Adelaide before the meeting to go over a few other things that needed sorted out during the meeting.

By the time he reached the house he picked up on the scent of dirty nappies, he groaned realising that he still had all this to come. He walked into what was a crèche, all the broody mums and expectant mothers had seemed to congregate in his living room to see the new arrival. He grinned when he seen Adelaide also in the thick of it 'if only she knew' he grinned as his wolf gave a contented sigh.

As soon as Adelaide saw Connor she smiled and rushed over to hug him, Connor planted a warm kiss on her forehead, before taking her hand and leading her into the kitchen.

Connor didn't take long to go over the other items on the itinerary list, looking at the kitchen clock they had less than ten minutes to reach the gathering place. If they left now they could walk it in human form. Adelaide agreed and they set off to meet Jack, Alex and Colin before they opened the meeting.

Colin looked knackered as he slumped on the fallen tree, his face was pasty to say the least "Before you say anything, I had no idea just how much babies cry. I have been up all night!" he growled weekly. Connor and Adelaide just looked at each other and chuckled causing a louder growl from Colin. "Just wait till it's your turn" he huffed before picking up a small rock and chucked it in the Loch.

Adelaide forgot just how beautiful this place was, it was so peaceful that while you were there you seemed to forget all your worries. Connor wrapped his arms round her waist "Now you know why I call this my sanctuary" he sighed contently as they met each others eyes, it wasn't long before they heard a cough behind them "When you two are quite finished making googly eyes at each other, we have a meeting this morning!" Jack grumbled still not comfortable with seeing his daughter making out with anyone, regardless of who it was. Behind him stood Alex who with his entire muscular frame and usual no nonessential attitude was giggling like a schoolboy. This just earned him a death stare from Jack "I will deal with you later" Jack warned but Alex just grinned and rolled his eyes knowing Jack was just getting grumpy in his old age.

All five of them made their way to the gathering place and took in just how many there were, it didn't look too bad last night in the dark but to see it here just astounded them. "OK, I think the first move would be to decide exactly were you want to be, anyone that wants to join my pack can stand by me, anyone who wants to join Jack can stand beside Jack" and Connor pointed to the other side of the clearing were Jack now stood. "And anyone who wants to stay rogue, can leave with the best of luck!" he finished eying over the hoard of rogues that stood in front of him making sure they knew that they could just leave if they wished to do so.

The place echoed with mingled voices as everyone chattered to each other, this went on for a few minutes before there were the first signs of movement. Some were walking towards Connor and Adelaide while others seemed to move towards Jack. Some even flitted back and forth as if they couldn't quite make up their minds. Adelaide nudged Connor gently and nodded in Jacks direction, Connor squinted and finally realised what she was looking at, Sasha had moved over to Jacks side and was staring lovingly into her mate's eyes.

The girl standing beside Sasha looked a lot like the girl Sasha had made friends with, she was holding hands with Jake and both of them just stood there with huge smiles on their faces. It was obvious to everyone that although the hunters had put them through hell, some of them came out stronger than before. No one could dispute the change in Sasha.

Connor scanned the shrinking crowd and smiled to himself when he noticed that the majority of them had chosen his pack and not Jacks, he knew it wasn't a competition but it still felt good "Stop gloating!" Adelaide whispered softly in his ear but inside she felt good as well.

After about ten minutes the crowd had completely dispersed between the two packs and that would nearly close business between the two packs, only two girls had left to move back over the borders to English soil. The only thing that needed done now was to sign the newly written peace treaty that would ensure the safety of both their packs. Connor signed it first with Colin co-signing under his name as Beta, he was next in line as Alpha, this ensured that the treaty would carry on in the event of the loss of the Alpha. Jack and Alex done the same and finally an elder from each pack signed as witnesses.

Once the treaty was signed Jack ordered Alex to lead his newly enlarged pack back to the McLeod territories, Alex bowed and minutes later the woods was full of wolves of all colours, shapes and sizes. Jack walked over to Adelaide with misty eyes "I have found you my daughter, please keep in touch" he sniffed as he pulled her into a bear hug and just about squeezed the air out of her lungs "Can't breathe" Adelaide gasped taking a huge breath once Jack realised he had been hugging her too tight "Sorry" he smiled apologetically.

Connor seen Adelaide's eyes glisten and decided it would be best to give them both some privacy, but before he left he asked Jack if he could have a quick word in his office. He watched Jack nod before turning back to face his daughter again. Connor headed up to his office and grabbed a glass of whisky from his miniature bar he had built into the corner of his vast office, he added some ice and took a long sip before walking to the window. He watched as both Adelaide and her father said their last goodbyes, Connor vowed that he would make sure they stay in touch as often as possible.

By the time Jack had reached his office, Connor had refilled his glass. He needed all the Dutch courage he could muster. He looked at Jacks red eyes and knew this was probably not the right time, but it needed done. "Jack, I asked you here to ask for Adelaide's hand in marriage" Connor said in not quite his usual tone of voice. Jack paced the room away from Connor, this made Connor very nervous and Jack knew this. He grunted in his deepest tone "Oh is that right! What makes you think that you are right for my daughter?" he said walking up to Connor with a snarl.

Connor growled with anger "She's my mate!" Jack was only winding him up but it was way too much fun to just leave it there so Jack pulled himself together "Who's to say that you don't just want control of the McLeod pack, after all she is the heiress?" Jack hissed pointing his finger in Connors face. He watched as Connor turned deathly pale "But I love her!" he pleaded before Connor saw the corner of Jacks lips quiver them burst into hysterics. "Oh my god that priceless!" he choked as he tried to catch his breath.

Connor stood there in confusion realising where Adelaide got her evil streak from, he had got him hook, line and sinker, he waited impatiently as Jack finally settled down and cleared his throat "Sorry about that, I couldn't help it. Of course you have my permission, the fact that you risked your life to save her makes me eternally grateful" he grinned "I know it's a lot to ask, but do you think I could walk her down the aisle?" Jack spoke quietly knowing it was a very big ask. "I plan to have two ceremonies, an official one here and another one for her human friends and family that way everyone's happy" Connor beamed feeling happy about this idea that way both her adoptive and her biological father could have the chance to walk her down the aisle.

Jack approved completely and after a glass of Connors finest whisky to seal the deal, Jack shook Connors hand, wished him luck then headed off to catch up with his pack. It took Connor a few minutes to compose himself before going to find his future wife.