Chapter 13: The Truth

The chamber of the gun slid back as the bullet cartridge shot out the side. A flash followed by an intense ringing from a gunshot filled the room deafening everyone. The bullet now cut through the air, passing directly through Reggie, killing him almost instantly.

"We did it, Scott."

The little girl cheered before looking behind her as the demon managed to destroy the black ooze, some of the black spikes remained in his body, but he didn't get much further than that as he started to drift sideways. A vacuum like wind came out of the portal and was dragging him into it.

Slamming his axe into the wood floor, his legs gave out from under him, leaving the demonic being clinging to the axe's shaft. Emily walked over, now standing in front of him, and placed her sandalled foot on the axe's blade.

"You little bitch, you'll never get rid of me."

"Still willing to fight are you?"

The demon growled at Emily as she started to move her foot, slowly pushing the axe out of the wood as Scott walked up beside her.

"Thank you brother. It's finally time to end all of this."

Thinking that Emily was going to keep pushing the axe, he was wrong instead she raised up her hand and presented the ceremonial dagger to him.

"What are you doing?"

"Take it, and kill our father once more."

"Who are you? What are you talking about?"

"I'll answer your questions later, right now you have to amputate his hands."

Scott looked at the little girl in fear, but he knew she was right even if he didn't understand the whole father aspect, reluctantly, he took the dagger from her hands, and looked at the man. As the man looked up at him, but Scott still didn't know who he was.

"Please son, spare me and kill her. She's the one that's been tormenting you."

"Shut up, demon."

"I know you hit her, you're just like me. Please, Scott, end this for everyone here."

"I said shut up," Scott raised the dagger to the demonic man, keeping its only a few inches away from his wrists. "This is for my friends."

In one swing, the dagger passed cleanly through the demon's wrists as his body was pulled into the void behind him. Emily and Scott watched as the being who claimed to be their father burned up as his body met the border of the pentagram, and watched as his eye's where the last thing to disappear.

"Thank you, bro-"

Emily looked over at Scott, who was now pointing the dagger at her.

"You're going to tell me everything, then I'm going to kill you and take Anna with me."

"Scott, don't you understand. I can only be released from this world if a woman is sacrificed."

"Anna."

"And the last horse crosses the finish line. You'd have to kill you're beloved to get rid of me."

"Fine, you win."

Scott lowered the blade in defeat, releasing it from his hand as it clanged on the wooden floor beneath him. What remained of Emily's black ooze crawled over and absorbed the dagger before sinking into the cracks of floorboards.

With no will to fight left, Scott fell to the ground and stared at Anna's body that laid there motionless, while Emily sat down next to him.

"You really don't remember me, do you, brother?"

"Why do you keep calling me that, I'm an only child."

A tear formed in the corner of Emily's skin covered eye as she reached into the little pocket on the chest of the dress and pulled out a folded up piece of paper. Handing it to Scott, she watched as he unfolded it.

"Oh my god."

The piece of paper was a family photo. Scott was only six or seven, and there was a little girl next to him. Behind them was Scott's mother and beside her was the demon they had just destroyed.

"But how?"

"I can't believe you don't remember. Here let me show you."

Emily put her hand on Scott's forehead as his eye's turned a pale white. He was a spirit in their old home watching as a scene played out in front of him. Emily was alone in her room when their father walked in, drunk as could be, and started beating up Emily. He watched as life faded from the little girl's eyes and the side of her face was left in a crimson liquid.

That's when a young version of Scott, walked in brandishing a steak knife. Their stepfather turned to him, wobbling on his feet.

"Du ya wan sum of dis by."

His words were slurred, his motion was slowed. Looking at the younger version of Scott, the kid was filled with evil and hatred. Before their father could do anything, Scott already had the knife lodged into his stomach, twisting the blade and sliding it across the man's abdomen.

"You're a liar. Liar, liar, liar."

Scott carved the word into the man's body repeatedly as his mother ran into the room. Horrified, while looking at the scene, but yet she let him continue. Suddenly Scott's eye's went white for a moment, as Emily pulled her hand away from his forehead.

"Mother never did have good taste in men. Our Stepdad deserved to die."

"But what about all of this, Emily?"

"Simple, I've been with you a long time now, watching over your shoulder. When I found out about the bank heist and the delinquents you were going to use for it. Everything worked itself out. I had my sacrifice and my plan B."

Emily looked over at the still motionless Anna. Then turned back to the photo.

"So you were going to kill Anna as your back up plan?"

"No...the baby."

Instantly Scott remembered that Anna was now with child. As her stomach protruded into the air.

"But how did you know she was pregnant?"

"Because I made it happen. I possessed your friends forcing them to conceive. Then on the day of the heist, I planned to bring Anna to the other side where time is manipulatable, and I made nine months become to two hours. Finally, I knew if I told you about Reggie and what he had done, it'd make it easier for you to kill a man you disliked, completing the sacrifice and now we're free."

Emily stood up and walked over to Anna, and picked her up by the collar, before walking back to Scott. With them all now in the center of the room. Emily stared at Scott as she placed Anna's body down.

"So you're letting us go?"

"Not exactly brother, You are free to leave, and nothing will happen to you. You will get help. However, it belongs to me now and its a package deal if you know what I mean."

"What?"

Scott rushed to his feet trying to get to Anna but he was too late as the room fell dark, and he dropped to his knees once more. He lowered his head to the ground, beating on the wooden floorboard. However, it felt more like gravel now.

Sitting back on his legs, he opened his eyes, and a horrific sight met his gaze.