24| The Divine Intervention

I had a feeling Trevor would wear his navy blue t-shirt on the last day of school. He would roll the sleeves because he thought it looked fashionable. It was his favourite shirt. I guess he wanted to end eleventh grade on a high note despite the fact that both of us were still on the outs. It has been a month since everything went to shit. I'm well aware that Trevor and I both know the truth, but I think we were both too stubborn to face our problems.

Perhaps we were too stupid to realize that our happiness was at stake. Besides the fact that I was stubborn and stupid enough to avoid him, I was also scared. I feared what would unfold after a conversation with Trevor. Some things are better left untouched, unanswered. But seeing him today before summer vacation almost made me want to run up to him. Though I'm glad I saw Mia, her friendly face made me forget about Trevor for a little while.

"I'm going to miss you," Mia squeezed me into one of her tight hugs.

"You can always call me from camp," I said as we pulled away. People were hugging and crying all around us, particularly the seniors. Next year would be my last year in high school. Everyone soon realizes that high school is a bittersweet experience. I've always wanted to leave high school, but at the same time leaving something you're comfortable and familiar with is scary. Especially when adulthood waits on the other side.

"I don't think there will be cellphone reception at the summer camp."

"At least you'll be earning money."

She laughed, "as if you're acting like I got the better end of the deal. You're the one jetting off to Monaco with your parents."

While Owen will whisk Stella away for five days in Paris, my parents and I will be visiting Monaco for the first time. Stella doesn't know this, Owen said he'll tell her after her graduation next week. It was sweet of him. I saw him work hard for that money for the past couple of months. Plus my parents were generous enough to pay for the plane tickets.

"I've been practicing French in case I meet cute guys," I said.

"Have you already forgotten about the cute guy that roams this very hall?" She raised her eyebrow at me. For the past month, Mia has been nagging me about talking to Trevor. I knew she wanted the best for me, but it was annoying.

"My brother Owen?" I asked. "Sorry, I'm not into incest."

She sighed, "this is your last chance to talk to Trevor before you look for a handsome French rebound in Monaco. I know you, Nat, you're going to regret it."

"I'm scared Mia, I've told you countless times."

She put her hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eyes. "Fear has knocked down even the strongest willed people. So will you stay on the ground or face what you fear?"

"I don't know," I stammered.

"Fate has a funny way of deciding for you," she said. I felt like there was hidden meaning, but I brushed it off. "Call me when you've made up your mind. I want to be there for you."

"Thanks, Mia," I gave her one final hug. "I love you."

"I love you too my little croissant."

I left the school with a big smile from my last encounter with Mia but with a heavy heart knowing I have to make an important decision.

•••

I walked into my house with one thing in mind; food. I was mentally going over what was available in our pantry and fridge when I heard voices coming from our living room. And there they all were; Audrey, Stella, Curtis, Owen and even Trevor. He was sandwiched between Audrey and Curtis on one couch. He clearly didn't want to be here. All eyes were on me when I entered the living room.