3| Double Diner Date

I skimmed the menu once again; nothing caught my eye. I looked at my other companions. Mia was beside me, looking at the menu. Isaac was in front of me, and Trevor was texting someone on his phone.

Piper's Diner was almost full; it was always busy on Friday nights. The neon sign glowed brightly against the pale turquoise wallpaper that complimented the red booths and the black and white square tiles. This place wreaked of liveliness and childhood memories that filled me with an unwanted nostalgic feeling.

"Nat," Isaac called. Then did I only realize that there was a waitress in front of our booth, waiting for me to tell her my order.

"I'll get the BLT with a side of onion rings," I said, my mouth was already salivating just thinking about it.

"Anything to drink?" She glanced at her notepad and right back at me.

"She'll get the vanilla malt milkshake," Isaac chimed in before I could answer. Is he trying to prove something to me?

"Actually," Trevor said before the waitress could jot it down. "She prefers chocolate more."

All their heads turned towards me, "I'll get the strawberry."

"Alright," she said as she left.

"So do you like chocolate or vanilla more?" Isaac asked. There was a hidden meaning behind that simple question in Isaac's mind. But to me, there was no meaning whatsoever.

"Chocolate," I said. From my peripheral vision, I saw a small smile creep up Trevor's face while Isaac looked at me defeated. I could feel the tension building between Isaac and Trevor.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked. "I've been giving you white chocolate since we started dating."

There were much deeper and important things I never told Isaac, topics I never wanted to mention. If he got angry over this little revelation, then he would turn into the Hulk if he found out the secrets I've kept from him.

"What's your opinion on pesto pasta?"Mia interrupted. Thank God she did, this was getting awkward and annoying.

"I would marry it if it were a person," Trevor answered.

"Let me guess you love it too," Isaac looked at me.

"Actually," Trevor started, but he stopped talking when I shot him a death glare. "You're right she does."

I hated pesto pasta, but if Trevor said that Isaac would lose it. I wanted this train wreck to be over. I'm only here for Mia, and so far it's been about me.

"Mia has this really cool vacation house in Germany she visits during Christmas break," I said looking at her. From under the table, she squeezed my hand in gratitude.

"Yeah, I ski when I'm there," she said. I could tell she was nervous because she was holding back. She hasn't said much since we got here.

"Trevor loves to ski," I chimed in trying to help the conversation going.

"Yeah," he glanced at me. "Two years ago our family travelled to Canada during the winter break, and we stayed at this cool lodge."

"Isn't that when Audrey broke her arm?" I asked.

"From skating," he said. "She's always been the clumsy one and the least attractive."

"I broke my arm once because I fell off the bleachers at school. It was a good thing it wasn't my legs," Mia said.

When they started to have a conversation, I stopped talking and turned on my phone as I waited for the food.

"Natalia," Isaac said, and I looked up. "Can we talk later?" He reached across the table and grabbed my unoccupied hand. His thumb brushed over my knuckles. He always liked doing that, and I always liked it too. That small movement made me feel secure.

"Can't you just say it now?" I asked. Now, we managed to attract the attention of Mia and Trevor.

"It's between you and me."

"Look, the food's here!" Trevor exclaimed as the waitress came back with the trays filled with food. My plate overflowed with crispy onion rings and on the side was a delectable BLT waiting to be devoured. I immediately dug in as the waitress, Irene, came back with our malt milkshakes. Strawberry wasn't always my favourite flavour, but I took a sip anyway.

"Do you want to come to my house after?" Isaac asked me.

"Yeah, I heard you had a fuse ball table," Trevor replied with a mouthful of french fries.

"I was actually talking-"

"Yeah Mia and me versus you guys," I said not wanting to be alone with him. "We're totally going to kill it."

They all looked at me surprised and confused. I reached to grab my drink, but instead of successfully grabbing it, I tipped it over. For most of the part, it stayed on the table, except when it started flowing towards Trevor's lap.

"Looks like your milkshake chose me," Trevor half smirked, and half frowned as he wiped the sticky drink with a napkin.

•••

I quietly sat in the backseat of Trevor's car. I was so close to riding back home with Isaac, but his car's inability to start worked in my favour. The car ride between me, Trevor and Mia were silent and awkward. After dropping off Mia at her house, I realized that Trevor was driving to his house and not mine. I got down with him once we arrived. He immediately ran upstairs. It was probably to change pants. I sat down in their living room, a colourful photo album on their glass coffee table caught my eye.

I opened it up; it was a scrapbook. I never knew they had scrapbooks. I flipped through it and recognized a photo of me when I was younger. My hair was pulled back by a purple and white polka dot hairband. I had an arm around Trevor's neck as I leaned in to kiss his cheek.

I took the photo out of its place to examine it closer; Trevor's face was scrunched up in disgust. It's been ten years or so, and I still remember this day like it recently happened. It was his birthday party, and our moms wanted us to take a picture. So right before they took the photo, I pressed my lips against his cheeks.

"Natalia!" Trevor yelled from upstairs.

I slammed the book shut and stuffed the photo in my purse as I rushed upstairs. I opened the door to his room, he was shirtless. He was way more fit than I remembered him to be.

"Yeah?"

"Owen texted me, he said he's not coming home." He slipped on a grey graphic t-shirt. My phone died during our ride back home.

"Alright."

"Do you want to watch a movie with me?"

I raised my eyebrow, "I'm growing on you aren't I?"

"Is that a yes?" He asked as he sat down at the edge of his bed.

"Only if we watch Captain America."

a/n how's this chapter?? I really loved Trevor in this, especially at the diner. Comment your thoughts, vote and follow! ♥︎