Chapter 43 - Acrobatics

En başından başla

Luca turned from the phone and began talking to Natalie, but I couldn't make out what was said. After several seconds, he returned to the phone.

"Natalie's pulling up the address right now," he told me. "Did you get away from Mikey?" he demanded urgently. "Are you safe?"

"He's got me handcuffed to the bed, but he left a half hour ago. I don't know when he'll be back." I stared at the door Mikey had exited, and I prayed silently that it would be a while before he returned.

"Dammit. You're like four hours away," he growled.

I listened to his ragged breathing for a moment before the beeping of an open car door crossed the line. The low hum of an engine coming to life was almost too quiet for me to make out, but I felt tension leave my body when I grasped that Luca was already on the road to me.

"Farrah called Walker," Luca informed me softly. "We picked her up and I've already seen to her. She's tired, but in good shape."

"She's okay?" I whispered, tucking my chin as I tried to wedge the phone more securely between my head and shoulder.

"Yeah, sweetie. And your parents should be arriving at WITSEC any minute."

My stomach twisted uncomfortably, and bile burned my throat. "Did they...did anyone hurt her?" My tone was fearful, as I had been imagining worst case scenarios all day.

"No, Blythe. They scared her a little, but no one touched her," he answered comfortingly, pausing for a moment before clarifying. "...in ANY way."

I sighed with relief, and the tightness in my chest began to dissipate.

"Blythe," Luca began, "you shouldn't stay on the phone any longer. If Michael comes back, there's no telling what he'll do."

I could hear the wistful sadness in Luca's voice, but I knew he was right.

"We're breaking every traffic law to get to you. We'll probably make it in three hours instead of four with Natalie driving."

Another tear escaped my eye. "Be safe," I murmured.

"We will, baby," Luca promised warmly. "And Blythe?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you," he murmured softly before disconnecting the call.

Stunned, I kept the phone attached to my ear until I heard the familiar dial tone. Tears flooded my eyes, and the hope that had been progressively blossoming since Michael left the room was now filling my heart to overflowing. No matter what happened, I knew that Luca would come for me, and he wouldn't rest until he found me. My heart skipped a beat when I recalled his words. He loved me. How was that even possible?

As the dial tone continued to blare in my ears, my senses returned to me. I knew there was no way I could get the phone back to its position on the bedside table, so I did the next best thing. I placed the receiver back onto the base of the phone, and using my feet, I shoved the entire device to the floor, cords and all.

After that, I reclined on the bed, tucking my aching arm to my stomach, and stared at the dirty ceiling. I was tired, but knowing that Luca was on his way to rescue me had adrenalin pumping through my veins. After letting my thoughts wander for a while, though, the untapped energy began to fade, and I slowly succumbed to the enticing call of sleep. In sleep, I wouldn't feel the pain of my bruises and broken bones. In sleep, I could dream of my family and friends. In sleep, I could imagine a wonderful future with a handsome, dark-haired detective. Unfortunately, sleep didn't last as long as I would have liked, and I was woken abruptly by the loud and angry bellowing of the last person I wanted to see.