Chapter 8: Blue

I leaned against Travis' shoulder, as we were watching TV. He flipped to the news channel, where there was an interview going on. And, oh look...it's Zenix... Talking about Gene's 'suicide'.

"At a time like this, negative people choose to focus on their grief. Well, I hate those people. Because, I am a very positive person, I remember the good times. Like, when Gene and I got our ears pierced at the mall-"

I gestured Travis to change the channel, which he did so. He flipped to another news station. Oh, wouldn't you guess it? Zenix was there, too.

"I can still hear all of those late night talks on the phone-"

Travis changed the channel, yet again. And- I swear to Irene, Zenix! Are you on every fucking news channel?! Irene...

"The day he won me that stuffed rhino at the 4th fair, he said to me, 'you are my soulmate'-"

"Alright! Turn it off, turn it off!" I instructed Travis, who did just that. "Damn, how many networks did he run to?"

Travis was about to answer me, when he got cut-off by someone swinging open the front door. We both turned into that direction, as a tall man stepped through the door. He had the same silver hair as Travis, but had these dull gray eyes. I sunk a little in my seat, not recognizing them. It was most likely Travis' dad.

"Why son, I didn't hear you come in," Travis smirked, and I stared at him in confusion.

Uh, what?

"Yeah pop, I want to introduce you to my new girlfriend," the man spoke, pointing over at me.

"Girlfriend"...great. Apparently wearing a skirt and blouse makes you look like a girl, now. Hmph.

I scrunched up at my nose, and glared over at Travis. Travis pointed his finger at the man, correcting him, "boyfriend."

He nodded, and I hopped up off the couch. I fixed my skirt, and held a hand out to the man. I put on a smile, trying to distract myself, from how confusing this all was.

"Oh, hi! I'm Zane," I introduced myself, as I patiently waited for him to shake my hand.

I assume this is Travis' father. I think they got this weird, backwards-talk thing going for them. Well, where am I to judge? I'm weird enough, myself.

Travis' father nodded once again. And, instead of shaking my hand, he slipped a beer into it... Oh... Oh dear...

"Drink up, honey," his father said with a wink. Oh...

"It's a little early," I bit my lip, scratching the back of my head with my free hand.

Travis came up behind me, snatching the beer from my grasp. His basically shoved it back into his father's hands, shaking his head. Travis wrapped his arm around my shoulder, giving a small, 'tsk'.

"Hey, Champ," Travis started, as he pointed a finger at his father. "You know we don't condone underage drinking in this house."

"Ooh," His father- what was his name again, Terry? Oh, yeah, it's Big Terry Dean. Terry slurred, glancing back over at me, "so you're a good boy, eh?"

I mumbled to myself, "oh...uh-"

"Zane was just leaving," Travis cut me off, patting my shoulder lightly.

"Come on, relax," Terry chuckled, gesturing us over to the couch. "Just having some fun, huh? Sit, sit."

I was hesitant for a moment, before taking a seat on the couch. Travis's dad sat beside me, holding his hands together. I glanced up at Travis, who was just standing there, arms crossed.