sneaking back into my life

I swear I love reading you guys comments. Thanks for all the love!

I smiled at my baby girl as I brushed back her silky hair edges after I put on her head band. We were getting ready to go to her uncles talent show at Ci & I's

old high school. I was iffy about tonight because Craig was going to be there so quite naturally my mom & his dad would be there as well. Ci promised she would act civilized. Two weeks had gone by & her two evaluations went by smoothly & there was only four more to go. I walked out of my room as Ci walked out of hers. She jogged over & snatched Avah's car seat out of my hand & talked to her as we walked down the stairs. I smiled at the two loves of my life. Once we got to the auditorium, we sat to the far left like Roc instructed us to do. After 5 acts went, it was the boys turn to go. They won every year so I knew it would be a good show. As always, they put on the best show but this time, they were singing, rapping, & dancing. Just like any other year, they won. After the show was over, we were mingling with Roc, Ray, & Jacob when some lady walked over to us.

"Umm excuse me, I don't mean to be rude but I'm Keisha Gamble. I was talent scouting & I think you boys did an outstanding job & would like to talk out some deals with yall."

The boys started going nuts then had no choice but to call Craig over who was on the other side of the auditorium talking with his dad & my mom. As he walked over, I pulled up the sun visor on Avah's car seat & put the blanket over it & her feet. I didn't even want him getting a glimpse of her at all. She shared the news with him as well & they agreed to meet with streamline/conjunction that following Saturday. The boys were going on & on about it then I saw my mom & Mr. Craig coming over to where we were. I didn't want to show any signs of weakness so I held my composure & watched as Ci let her eyes roam to her phone trying to avoid eye contact. Next thing you know, my mom walked over to me.

"Hey Miya. I was wondering if we could umm... See what Avah looks like."

I watched as Craig broke away from the boys & made his way over to where we were & his dad was next to follow. I was lost for words because I didn't know what to do but then Ci got up & grabbed her seat.

"No you guys can't see her."

"Ci, that's not even your daughter."

Craig shot at her. I knew I needed to say something because she couldn't get in any trouble.

"Umm. No. I don't want you guys to see her."

"Why not me Miya? I know that's my grand baby."

"Do we have to do this here mom? Let's not forget you threw us out because of your husband. You weren't too concerned about her then."

"Omg. You have let Ci corrupt you Miya. You're not even like that. Ci is the evil bitch. Not you."

I watched Ci jump up from where she was sitting & fly over to Craig but by the time she made it, he was already laid out. Roc had already stole on him & Craig was sprawled out on his back, holding the side of his face. Ci grabbed Roc, & I gripped Avah's seat as the 6 of us made our exit while my mom, Mr. Craig, & his offspring were left in the auditorium.

One month later

I was sitting in the court room, waiting for the results of the paternity test. Kaila convinced me to put Craig on child support because it was becoming a struggle for Ci & I to take care of Avah. She worked while I went to school & even though I got WIC for her milk, diapers & daycare wasn't cheap. Since the boys just got a 3 million dollar record deal, it shouldn't be that hard for him to come up off some money every month. Him on the other hand was pissed about it. He still hadn't seen Avah but the custody agreement allowed him to see her twice a week but I had to be there when he did. I just didn't trust him & his dad around her. When the court visit was over, Craig stopped me to say something. The love I had for him allowed me to stand there & listen.

"I was wondering if we could put everything behind us so we can be good parents to Avah."

I was appalled that he wanted to do this so the pity in my heart allowed me to say yes, starting today. I got to my car, strapped Avah in, then was on my way home with Craig following behind me. I knew I needed to tell Ci, but I was too scared to hear her reaction. Once I got home, I yelled for her & she responded saying she was in the kitchen. I walked in to see Cordell sitting at the table eating some eggs & sausage. I set down Avah's seat & cleared my throat as my light bright nephews eyes lit up when he saw me.

"TT! I missed you!"

He ran over to me & I picked him up & kissed him. He looked just like Kle with his bright skin, curly hair, & big ears. I sat him down & he went back over to finish eating. Ci just had tears in her eyes looking at him.

"When did you get here Cordell?"

"Mommy came to get me today! She said you had a baby TT! I wanna see her!"

I lifted back Avah's blanket so he could see her. He just rubbed her face with his little hands & she smiled at him then I remembered something. I needed to tell Ci that Craig was here.

"Hey sis, I have to tell you something."

"Ok. Come with me to Avah's room really quick so I can make Cordell's bed up."

I followed her to the room & saw she had a little bed diagonal from Avah's crib set up for Cordell. I was so happy for her & he was even calling her mommy. She opened up the spongebob bed spread, sheets, pillow cases, & curtains, & began setting up. I just looked at her for a second trying to find the right words to say.

"So how was court?"

"Um.. he asked if we could set our differences aside."

"& what did you say?"

"I umm. Told him that we could. Only for the sake of Avah."

"Well that was mature of you Miya."

"He's here right now."

She slowly stopped what she was doing & turned to me.

"He's where?"

"He's umm... Here."

"I could slap you right now. Why is he here? What if those other two decide to show up too?"

"Then they just will Ci. We have to grow up & get past that."

She just shook her head & proceeded to make up Cordell's bed. I was a little annoyed that she was being negative about it all. I was on my way out of the room but before I made it all the way out, Ci slapped me with a little reality.

"I'm not saying not to let them in her life, but you've brought him into your comfort zone. Remember all the sneaky shit they were doing? Next will be full custody of Avah. Especially since only I work, & we're both in school with no parental support. You just watch Miya."