Chapter Five - Keeping Warm

Începe de la început

The girl's eyes glistened and their mouths watered at the sight and smell of the freshly cooked rice bowls with curry and tea on the side. A perfect meal for a cold winter night. Glancing at the clock, Kanna saw it was already 9pm, though they both had a late start the next day with their teacher's being absent for a sort of training day. "Thank you so much Tetsu!" She rejoiced, watching Hiromi pick up her own bowl off the platter and begin eating before even saying 'thank you'. After glaring angrily at the other girl, she eventually noticed and thanked Tetsu with a mouth already stuffed before he left, then continued to eat gluttonously once again.

The next morning, the two awoke in the king sized double bed which they shared for the night. Kanna, being the first to wake, quietly got up and began to change into her uniform, looking over at the clock to see that it was already 10am, giving them two hours until they were required to be at school for their midday class. Thinking back, she figured it was most likely Physical Education. Of course, she opted for the idea of wearing her sport uniform for the morning. It was pretty simple, the girls were allowed shorts or leggings in blue, just like the colour of the male uniform blazer, and a white t-shirt with the same blue accents to accompany it.

Hiromi woke up as Kanna finished pulling the white shirt over her head, realising she probably should also get dressed. Once they were both done they threw large winter coats over themselves, the leggings being a bit too tight and almost scandalous to wear through the halls, let alone in this weather. With a good hour left until class began once they were ready, hair tied back in messy buns and all, they decided to walk to school in the multiple layers of thick clothing along their regular uniforms in an extra bag which they only really needed when they had to change. As they walked through the merciless winter weather, they both decided to stop at a small cafe for a hot drink to thaw their shivering fingers.

The gentle tingle of the bell as they entered was light and inviting, not to mention the heat of the room they entered urging them into the building even further. Kanna glanced at the menu, tapping her chin as she decided what to order. Hiromi went first, instantly knowing what she wanted. She bounced up to the counter, smiling at the teen boy who worked there, causing his face to go even redder than the cold had caused it to be. "A large caramel latte with soy milk please!" She beamed, offering a close eyed grin while handing over the cash.

After both girls ordered and taken their drinks, Kanna ending up with a Vanilla Cappuccino, they meandered over to the Academy, snuggling their noses into the scarves around their necks. Passing the half-empty classes on their way to the gymnasium, they noticed a lot of people didn't even bother showing up on half days. Instead they'd often be helping their parents with their respective businesses for the day, or so they'd heard.

After finally arriving at the large building, they walked in to feel a slight warmth from the heaters which were mounted onto the ceiling. The coach for their class looked almost surprised that they showed up, saying they could 'choose whatever activity they wanted', since it was highly likely not another single student would show up today. They just decided to play against each other in a plain game of basketball to get the frozen blood in their veins pumping and keep themselves warm. The coach was at least pleased they didn't flat out ditch the class.

"I absolutely crushed you!" Cheered Hiromi, fist pumping as they went off to shower and change. Kanna calmly laughed at her best friend's antics, accepting defeat gracefully, well at least as gracefully as she could while breathless and sweating from the running, legs still burning and heart racing. The door clicked shut behind them as they walked into the showers, which were separated by frosted glass, unlike a regular school with the showers simply in a line to the side of a room, each student could have some privacy as they cleaned themselves.

Not having breakfast, they two realised how hungry they'd become after running for so long, with their lunch hour already halfway over they wandered up to the dining hall, with no line at the kitchen they were able to instantly grab a tray each and choose their meals, paying before going to sit down. It was two more days until the holiday break so they figured that was why it was only themselves and one other small group of first year students in the room. Everyone was chatting respectively, until the two girls burst into a fit of laughter, attracting the attention of the other group, who turned their heads to see what the source of the obnoxious howling was.

After wiping away the tears that formed and lighting rubbing their sides to ease the stitch, a voice spoke up from across the table, catching their attention. "Hello ladies, may I ask what was so amusing?"

"Suoh." Acknowledged Kanna, with a small smile, whilst Hiromi narrowed her eyes at the boy, "Nothing much, I'm glad you're here actually." She spoke, reaching into her book back which sat at her feet. She fished out the flip phone and handed it to the male, "You forgot this yesterday evening, I figured you should have it back now instead of you bothering me later." The girl smiled, closing her bag once more.

Tamaki's eyes lit up, "Thank you so so very much!" He cried, jumping to hug Kanna, making her flinch before she noticed another boy who was holding him back.

The other male had black, sleek hair and glasses. "Tamaki please stop annoying these ladies." He bluntly stated, making Tamaki go back to the other table to sulk. "Sorry to be a bother," He spoke again, with a polite 'business' smile forced onto his face, obviously he would rather not having to do damage control on behalf of his friend, "My name is Ootori Kyoya, it's nice to meet you. I assume you already know the baffoon over there." Ootori sighed, jutting his thumb back at the blond. "I hope he caused you no trouble."

The girls nervously held their hands up, "No really it's no trouble!" said Hiromi, clearly uncomfortable around the younger boy. "He came to us for a bit of advice, don't worry about it!" Her voice cracked a little, trying to brush off the topic.

Ootori simply nodded and walked away from the duo. The sound of new people walking into the room seemed to shift the mood, turning around Kanna spotted Mitsukuni and Takashi, smiling and sending them a friendly wave which they returned. The two boys collected a lunch tray of food each and joined their classmates at the table.

The four chatted about their plans for the break, completely oblivious to the stares being sent their way by the first years.

A/N

Heyhey! I promise there'll be cute stuff coming up but I honestly don't like rushing into things??

Ah thank you for reading!!