Chapter 34: College

Zoey's POV

Nagising ako sa boses ni Mom, nananaginip ba ako?

"Baby-", sabi ni Mom. Binuksan ko ang mata ko at nakita si Mom. Niyakap ko agad siya. 

"Bakit hindi kayo nagsabi?", tanong ko. 

"We want to surprise you, bumaba ka na, I cooked breakast." Pagbaba ko nandoon si Kuya at si Dad. Mini reunion?

"Bakit kayo nandito?"

"We want to surprise you."

"Why?"

"Wala lang. Kumain ka na." 

"Is this why you wanted to talk to me after prom?"

"Yup. But please eat first, sasabihin ko sayo mamaya kung ano 'yon." Bacon, Eggs, Fried Rice at hashbrown ang breakfast. Yum!  

Natapos kaming kumain at naramdaman kong parang may tension. Ano kayang sasabihin nila? 

"Zoey-", sabi ni Dad na parang hindi niya alam ang sasabihin niya. This is the first time. "After High School, you have to go back to Korea." Natigilan ako. 

"Korea?"

"You will study Business Ad there and at the same time learn about our properties there.", sabi ni Dad. I know you like it here in the Philippines and I know you've already established yourself but we talked about it and considered the circumstances. Your kuya is going to be married already and he can't just go around back and forth like a single man. He will be in charge of the Philippine Operations. Hawak niya ang lahat ng hotel, restaurants and schools dito sa Pilipinas. I have to stay in the US soon to transfer our properties there to your uncle. So while we are away, you and your mom should stick together and someone needs to stay in Korea.", sabi niya. Hindi ako makapagsalita. 

"Zoey, I know this is hard for you and we tried our best to let you stay here but we really need you. Your kuya needs to take a break and focus on his family.", sabi ni Mom .

"I'm sorry Zoey.", sabi ni Kuya.

"No Kuya, I know how you and ate Rhia wants to have a normal family. I understand."

"I hope you're okay with this." I'm not. Akala ko titigil na ako sa paglilipat pero heto nanaman ako, aalis. 

"I will try Mom, Dad and Kuya. I know that you're only thinking of what's good for me and for everybody." Niyakap ako ni Mom. 

"Thanks for understanding." We spent the whole day together in the house just watching movies and swimming. This is one bonding we never had and maybe we will not have this kind of bonding again lalo na kung maghihiwalay na kami.

It was a good day, I hope my friends will not be too shocked. 

"Ha?! Aalis ka nanaman?!", sabi ni Dani. "You're 17 years old you should be stable and not thinking of things like jobs. What's wrong with you rich people?!" Galit na galit na sabi ni Dani. 

"I'm gonna talk to your Dad and tell him how you're so happy here.", sabi ni Carol. 

"Guys, we already talked and they already explained to me. Actually ayaw din din nila na umalis ako pero they have no choice. Kailangan ko nang araling 'to, ikakasal na si Kuya soon. Hindi ko pwedeng iasa lahat kay kuya 'yon.

"Hindi pa huli ang lahat, sabihin mo sa mama mo gumawa uli sila ng anak.", sabi ni Dani.

"Gaga.", sabi ko at nagtawanan kami. "This is really happening guys."

"How about Nathan? Kakabati niyo lang ah? Don't tell me LDR kayo?" Hindi ako makasagot. 

"If we have to postpone things, then let's postpone it.", sabi ko.

"Hindi sandali ang four years Zoey, paano kung may makita siyang iba?"

"Then that means we're not meant for each other.", sabi ko. 

"Wow, the universe can't give you guys a break, can they?", Huminga ng malalim si Dani. 

"Kayo? San kayo?"

"UP ako.", sabi ni Dani. 

"UP din ako.", sabi ni Carol at nagtilian sila. I wish I could go with them. But I have to prioritize my responsibilities. 

"Anong pinaguusapan niyo?", lumapit si Nathan sa amin. 

"Gotta go, bye.", sabi ni Dani at hinila niya si Carol. Magaling. 

"About college.", sabi ko. 

"Oo nga pala, saan ka?", tanong ni Nathan. 

"Sa Korea.", sabi ko. Nawala 'yung ngiti niya sa mukha. "They decided for me to study there to look after our properties." Nakatulala siya. "Nathan?"

"Ayaw ata ng mundo na magsama tayo.", sabi ni Nathan. 

"So?"

"So, maybe this is them telling us to prioritize greater things.", sabi ni Nathan. 

"Ikaw ba 'yan? You know I was so nervous telling you this kasi baka mag hysterical ka nanaman.", sabi ko. 

"Hindi, I realized a lot thanks to you. Life is not purely about us, maybe we really need to start looking at things differently and face the reality that we're not kids anymore. We have more important priorities." Si Nathan ba talaga 'to? I've never been so attracted to him. 

"Anong nangyari sa'yo?", tanong ko at tumawa.

"I will have to pursue my responsibilities as well.", sabi niya. "I will try to be more mature and responsible for my mother. I owe her a lot, you know that. 

"What does this mean for us?", tanong ko. Huminga lang siya. 

"I don't know Zoey, but I know I still have feelings for you and I hope its the same way with you. I don't want to think about it so much, we'll just get to it once we're there." Nag-agree ako, we still have a lot to think about before graduation. We decided to enjoy each other's company, not just the two of us but the company of our friends. We are all future heirs of our family's business and now we have to accept that our lives are not the same as others, we have to mature early.