Twenty-Six

Alrighty, guys, this is the consummation chapter! Just a heads up! I will give you all a sign like this ** if or when you'd like to switch to the private more steamy part of this chapter...you must follow me and add the Private Chapters book to your library. If any of you have trouble, let me know! And let us continue from the cliffhanger!

"Kare!"

I felt Aderick's warm hand slide around my waist as I took another step forward, pulling me back into his chest as my brother approached from the treeline. I looked up at my husband, noticing the frown and the dark look in his eyes at our unexpected guest.

This was my family, not the enemy.

Kare strode forward into the mass of frazzled people, many of them scurrying away from his deadly aura and furious hazel eyes. His clothes were dirty and threadbare, his brown hair thrown up in a messy bun, and he looked to have lost weight. But he still towered over everyone with confidence as he passed them, his eyes on us. His lip was curled at Aderick; disgust, and hatred rolling off him in waves.

A low grumble vibrated my back as Aderick returned the glare and snarled at my eldest sibling. I swatted at his chest, glaring up at him to behave. He shot me a look.

"Aderick, it is fine. 'Tis only my brother, Kare. He will not hurt me." I whispered to him to comfort his nerves, running my fingers up his arm. He mashed his lips together in frustration, keeping quiet.

Gently, I began to pull out of his hold. He squeezed my waist in warning before finally letting go.

"I understand that...but I shall not let him take you away from me, Britta. I already have someone else trying to do so." He murmured, keeping contact with my skin as he tangled his fingers with mine.

I turned to face him while taking a look over my shoulder at my brother who stormed our way, rage lighting his eyes as he took in our embrace.

"That shall not happen. It'll be fine." I responded, looking up at Aderick before completely pulling away.

I rose on my toes to place a gentle kiss on his lips, dancing out of his wandering hands. Once free, I quickly ran towards Kare before jumping into his arms with happiness in my heart. His face that was contorted with fury slackened in surprise and a hint of happiness as he caught me effortlessly.

I heard surprised gasps from the crowd, but I did not care. I cherished this moment, as I had believed all of my family were dead. Now Kare stood before me, his arms wrapped around my middle as we hugged.

"Kare! Oh, how I have missed you! I thought you dead and I-" My words broke off as my dry sobs overruled my speech. I tightened my hold around his neck from the overwhelming emotions rushing through me.

My brother was here. Alive. In the flesh. How could this be? Was anyone else alive?

"Britta, lille søster, I cannot believe it is you," Kare whispered roughly in my ear.

Pulling back to look at him, my palm cupped his cheek, not caring that I was sprinkled with blood. "How?" I murmured, warm tears rushing to my eyes.

I felt as though I was looking at a spirit, almost not wanting to believe it was him. For me to be suddenly ripped away from this moment or that I would wake up from this most wonderful dream...it would crush me beyond recognition.

But Kare felt the same, smell a bit different I shall admit, but how I had missed his big hugs. He set me down carefully and pressed a kiss to my forehead before looking me in the eye.