Two

I slowly backed away from the small group of men that deliberately approached. I shielded my mamma from their view, protecting her body from these monsters.

Their eyes assessed me, almost to figure out who I was. One man, in particular, gazed at me with calculating eyes. He stopped and looked back at the two men flanking him before turning back to me. A small part of my mind pondered why they had not killed me already. They stood before me, seeming to wait for something to happen, blood splattered their clothes and weapons.

"Just kill me already," I snarled at them, impatient. Were they waiting for me to beg for mercy or scream in fear? My death was inevitable, but I would stare death defiantly in the face until my last breath.

Their eyes widened in surprise at my harsh words.

"What is your name?" The man in the middle with the dark eyes asked. I immediately identified him as the leader of the group as he stood proudly oozing great power.

He was tall, much taller than Kare who easily towered over most of the clan. Even on the ground, I noticed that he stood more contemptuously than the other two. I glared up at him in hate and loathing, but I could not help but stare at his magnificent body. His shoulders were broad and covered with thick leather armor plating that enveloped his long torso as well. It did not hide his bulging muscular arms that rested nonchalantly at his sides either. His dark brown hair was pulled back with a leather cord, similar to what Kare and Ran did with their own long hair. Black war paint was smeared on his cheeks giving his face a harsh menacing look with his sable facial hair. He peered down his strong nose at me, his dark eyebrows raised in question. As my eyes trailed downwards, I noticed how his dark material pants clung to his powerful thighs that then trailed into knee-high boots.

My eyes shot up to his in shock once I felt the pull of attraction towards him. He was the most handsome man I had ever laid eyes on. I could not keep my gaze off him.

Just like Astrid told me.

The power, confidence, and dominance rolled off him in waves like the sea as he stared down at me. His face was almost expressionless, only his clenched jaw portrayed his impatience.

"Britta," I softly whispered, at last, my gaze on the ground before I looked back up at him.

His eyes narrowed sharply at my reply and he released a sudden almost relieved breath. I blinked rapidly as I looked into his brown, nearly black eyes.

I quietly gasped, startled. I recognized those onyx orbs.

I have seen them before...

The man turned and nodded once to the other men, handing his large axe to the man on his right. I looked at the other men, who were the exact replica of one another. Twins, I realized. Chin length honey brown hair, molding strong jowls, and deep green eyes gave them a youthful look. They had to be around my own age, unlike the other man.

My gaze swung back to the handsome leader, foolishly absorbed in my thoughts when he suddenly rushed towards me.

I shrieked in alarm and terror as he lunged at me. I quickly crawled rearward away from my mother's body and at the same time putting distance between the warrior and myself. I turned and only managed to take one step to run away. I was too slow. He grabbed my waist from behind and hauled me up in his arms like a sack of flour. I screamed at him, cursing and spitting threats. I struggled fiercely in his arms, desperate to be freed, but he only tightened his hold on me. The stranger curled me in one of his thick arms then threw me up over his shoulder, with my head nearly grazing his fanny.

I kicked and shrieked, protesting in anger and fear as he walked away from the body of my mother. I hit him in the back with my fists, pounding as hard as I could. It did not seem to faze him. I sobbed in despair as I watched Mamma grow smaller and smaller as I was carried away.

If I was to die, I was going to die kicking and screaming curses at these men.

"Put me down, y-you drittsekk! Let me go, you horunge!" I yelled loudly in fury, using a few words that Kare liked to mutter darkly once in a while.

"Och, Aderick, your future bride has quite the mouth on her," The man to the right of us chuckled.

My eyes widened in shock and outrage at his words.

Future bride?

Me?

Impossible!

A crazed giggle escaped my scalded throat at the thought of being married to one of these Dahlsten barbarians.

A sharp slap on my rump made me yelp in surprise. A low curse escaped my mouth as I realized the attractive stranger just slapped me. The nerve!

Albeit I hung upside down I noticed our group walking towards a massive fire with many warriors surrounding it. Looking at it closely was difficult as I swung side to side upside down. My belly protested at the motion.

My captor stopped walking, thank Odin, and I was able to concentrate on the huge fire.

"There are no survivors," A low unknown voice quietly said.

I stopped breathing.

Horror and grief filled me as I realized it was the church that I left not long ago.

I gagged as my stomach revolted at the knowledge. Visions of Pappa and my brothers dead flashing in my mind almost made my eyes roll back in my head.

Nei...Odin nei...

A stream of tears escaped me as I faintly heard screams and cries from within the burning building.

Leif...Astrid...the baby...

My mind and body threatened to shut down from the blackness edging around my vision as I remembered that Astrid and my little Leif were trapped inside.

"Nei! Leif! Astrid! Nei, please Odin, nei! You need to save them, you have to!" I sobbed out loud, my heart sinking, begging my captor to do something.

I pounded my fists harder against his back. He needed to do something, anything!

The blackness began gaining strength, tempting me to give in.

I watched as the burning church gave a loud echoing groan, then it collapsed in on itself. The faint screams and shrieks were no more. All I could hear was the fire crackling and the roaring in my ears. My breathing became labored as despair and hopelessness filled me. I was empty, all feeling gone.

I was thankfully becoming numb.

My captor set me on the ground gently and I turned on my side, suddenly dry heaving at the weight of devastation. I faintly heard him calling my name. But I could not go on anymore. It was too much. The grief of losing my family, my people, overwhelmed me.

Black swirls cocooned my vision as I gave in to the warm, numbing blackness of unconsciousness.

A/N: My heart hurts...my poor Britta. Have you ever wanted to take your own characters and cuddle them in their grief? I do right now.

Why do you think Britta recognizes those dark eyes? Hmmm?

Let me know what you think!

This was a short chapter, I apologize, but I did not have much time this week to write as college has started up again and back in full swing. Yuck.

Did you know taking 3 English courses and Statistics suck??

So we are so close to 1K reads and that is insane!!! How is this even possible?? I totally did not think this story would shoot off like this and this many people would enjoy it! You guys make me so happy(:

If you'd like, comment, vote or follow! Anything is welcomed and encouraged!

Tootles darlings,

~Kass