Sixteen

I kept a steady and fast pace through the halls, my strides long to stay away from the tall brute that was chasing me. My dark green wool skirts swooshed around my ankles, yet with all my years with my little nephews, I had learned to move quickly with the thickly layered mass of skirt and underlining.

I could hear the loud stomping of his boots just behind me and I bit my lip to stifle a giggle. I sped up as I felt the brush of fingers on my waist, avoiding his touch. A loud resounding growl made the atmosphere vibrate with the frustration it held as we swayed around and betwixt others in the way, a tempting dance amidst predator and prey.

"Woman, would you stop-"

"I am busy, Aderick," I waved him off with a flick of my wrist, dismissing him.

"Britta, vær så snill, talk to me at least. It has been four sunrises...how much longer do you plan to torture me so?" He said, near pleading.

With his begging, almost whiny, tone, heads were being turned at the odd behavior of the typically stoic Jarl. Many raised eyebrows and slackened jowls were caught by my eyes, and I bit my bottom lip to repress the giggle at the astounded expressions as we passed by. I had the strong urge to look over my shoulder to see if he was on his knees chasing me. It sounded as such.

After that night of the confrontation with his past thrall, Marit, I decided 'twas best if we were separated as I processed everything and soaked in the emotions, particularly the hurt that still made my heart ache at the lie he told. I did not want his heated touch to control the number of days it took for me to forgive his omission, and so I had left the chambers in the middle of the night after weighing my decision.

I had awoken in the morning to shouts and the sounds of objects being thrown and broken as Aderick finally noticed I had left. 'Twas as if Ragnarök was knocking on the door as Aderick stormed through my new chamber doors; a whirlwind of anger, fear, and relief as he noticed me buried under the furs.

He then promptly threw me over his shoulder as I yelled in protest, marched to his chambers and dumped me on top of the furs with a loud growl of annoyance, muttering that I belonged with him in our chambers.

Since that morning, I refused to talk to him, avoiding him the best I could as I struggled to forgive him. I would give him snippets of replies, but never a complete conversation. I still remained in a separate chamber, which drove Aderick nearly mad.

Ingrid had been a blessing in disguise these past four days as she walked with me through the village, showing me where all the shops were and whom was whom amongst the people. By the gods, I swear Ingrid never stopped to take a breath while talking. But she was a good distraction to get out of the manor and avoid Aderick in the same note.

I had a plan, and I was sticking to it.

"Six," I nonchalantly tossed over my shoulder, finally looking at him. I saw him suddenly stop at my reply, dumbfounded, then continue striding my way as a look of pure determination crossed his features.

Within the distance, I could see the door to the food hall where I planned to meet Ingrid. I walked quicker than before to reach my destination without more discussion.

"Six?" He groaned.

"Ja. Four and six totals to ten. Ten days for the ten 'summers'," I said, still walking away from him, with two of my fingers bending at the word, "that you waited for me, Jarl Aderick."

"I told you I was sorry numerous times, Britta. Please, I cannot take this silence much longer."

I abruptly stopped walking, and his burly body bumped into me as he did not notice my sudden halt. His arm snaked around my waist to keep me from falling forward into a child, and he pulled me against his chest. I immediately pushed down at his hold, but with no avail. I sighed with frustration, rubbing my temples as I slowly turned to face him in his arms.