Chapter 2-Silk Ties

Start from the beginning

Jake laughed at my animosity. "For someone so determined to erase himself as a proper rich preppy bitch you still talk like your from a 1800s romance novel."

Another long running joke with my friends. I spoke too proper, just like I dressed too proper and ate too proper. The sessions of private tutors and coaching since the age of three left me with a curse of etiquette I couldn't shake. I'd tried it before, to curse and laugh and out my elbows on the table like other kids. But it was like telling oil to like water. My gut lurched and hands trembled and eyes went hazy when I acted out of place. The daunting, rain cloud of fear looked over me and I'd feel guilty. My mother's voice would pang my chest with reminiscence. Oh Rueben that wasn't very proper of you.

The partition of the limo rolled down, "We've arrived," the driver said.

"It's big," Blake commented looking at the building.

"Prep school was big," Alex rebuffed. "We did fine didn't we?"

"We were bullies," I said. But my voice evaporated before reaching them. They started out the car; and I sat for a moment staring somberly. Alex started out too, but he paused, sitting back down.

"Rue–"

"–It can't be like last year. Not after Lexi,"

Alex tensed and met my gaze. For a moment I was sure Alex would punch me for using his sister's name.

"What's your deal? Is your dad back, Rue?"

"No," I rushed quickly. "No...it's just–"

Alex hand jolted as if it was about to reach for me. But he knew better and stayed away.

"You always do this, you're not like him,"

I swallowed and nodded again. That was bullshit, of course I was. Now I had to go this stupid fucking school and act like I was the perfect son. Like I wasn't a murderer or a piece of shit. It's okay if I just get through the day, then the week, then the year–

I halted my thoughts with scolding. I was thinking improperly again.

"Welcome to Albon Academy,"

Too soon I was at the front desk starting my first day. My best friends smiled excitedly. I calmed my nerves with a breath.

The front desk woman's eyes land on me, she knew. "Rueben Dash right?"

I bit my lip, hard.

"Just Rue," She smiles and nodded. Proud she was awarded the privilege of addressing me so informally. Not noticing the storm that was brewing under my skin.

"Oh! To think I'm meeting four of the five founder families. We have Dash, Devitan, Benz, and Jones. We're only missing Albon. This freshman year will be quite exciting,"

My ears perked at the name, the big one, the one that was on this building. The name of not just a founder, but the the founder.

"Wait, does uh Mr. Albon's kid go here too?"

The woman lowers her voice and leans in a bit. "Rumor has it they're a blue year just like you. No one has checked in under that name yet though,"

Her eyes went wide and sparkly. "Oh gosh I bet you'll all be great friends!"
I smiled, the storm in me harsh enough to reduce the world to ashes. "Of course we will be,"

I scanned the sea of bodies in the auditorium. Alex kept close by.

"You're looking for the Albon kid now? What happened to not being bullies this year?"