Chapter 5: The Princess' Heart

Updated: July 5th, 2023

Principessa Valeria Rossi

That night, after I got home from the ball, I was completely disoriented because of the fact that out of nowhere, he popped back up in my mind. I tried to enjoy the ball and for the most part, I did but when I got home I wanted to scream, shout, and yell at the top of my lungs because after that one day with him, I never saw him again. I didn't think I was going to, either, so I knew I shouldn't have been crying over it now, but I was. I wished to see him again, to be in his arms again, but that wasn't gonna happen.

That made me hate Romeo even more, although I didn't think that was even possible. Of course, there was the stuff his family did to mine, but what happened tonight was on a personal level as well. Just when I finally managed to get him out of my mind, Romeo just had to come back in and ruin everything for me.

I was so happy, living my best life before he did what he did and then, well, I was consumed by the thought of him and how I'd never see him again. But, no matter how badly I wanted to yell at Romeo for that, I knew I couldn't. I'd take my revenge when I finally killed him, once and for all.

Besides, I doubted he'd understand what love meant, anyways. Someone like him, someone from that family was incapable of showing any positive emotion other than utter cheerfulness at making innocent people suffer like their family had for centuries.

Just then, I remembered that papá and Niko were probably expecting me in papá's office to discuss...well, the plan. Niko, not so much. I knew he would try and convince papá to let him take over not out of any malice or ill intent but because that was his way of showing his love and care for his little sister. I appreciated that but it also annoyed me.

As I stepped out of my room, I was stopped with one of my lady's maids. "Your highness, it's quite late. You shouldn't be out and about right now."

"Maeve, hello! I've been called down by my papá. The king and the prince are expecting me," I clarified and I didn't lie. My papá was expecting me, and so was Niko.

Oh god, Niko was about to chew my ear off about earlier.

"Yes, no problem, my principessa - although, I must alert the queen. She must know that her daughter is out of bed," she spoke lowly, to which I just slightly nodded and proceeded to walk to the grand staircase. I did, however, stop in my tracks because I had something in my shoe and dear heavens, I regretted that.

What I heard right after I paused was Maeve talking to my other lady's maids about how she had a good time with Romeo tonight. My mouth was agape. I was unable to comprehend, first of all, why she would be fraternizing with the enemy and second, about how anyone could possibly have a good time with Romeo.

I wasn't about to tell her to keep her distance from him, though. She could do as she pleased, but I was quite angry with her at that moment for thinking it was okay to hang around a member of a family that was our sworn enemy.

Oh well, her lover was going to be dead soon anyways. It would be her own loss.

But, again, I wasn't about to say anything. If she was going to betray her king and queen like that - the very people that gave her shelter and food, and a stable job, then I'd just watch how it all played out. And I knew exactly how it was going to play out.

Romeo was going to die, and then she could live the rest of her life devastated that the person who somehow knew how to show her a good time was gone. Not only that, but she could also drown in guilt about how she betrayed her king and queen.