Chapter 2: Principessa Valeria

Principe Romeo D'Angelo

As we headed to the Rossi Palace - Palazzo delle Perle, my brother, Leo, and our right hand – Lord Amadeo Ferrari, sat in front of me, declaring their many ways to carry out the plan. Lord Massimo, a member of my court ranked right below Lord Amadeo, sat beside me as the more serious persona of us all. Both, my brother and I, were exceptionally close to Lord Amadeo. And, above all that, he was more competent than anyone else in my court.

It was Leo, however, who was unsure about what we were going to do. Too kind for his own good, he had been coddled more so than any of us but it was time for reality to hit him in the face so he could see the world for what it truly was.

As for me, I was more than happy to be doing what I was doing. Killing the principessa was something I had only dreamed of and now, I was going to do so. Spoiled, conceited, and arrogant, I had dealt with enough high born ladies to know how to deal with one. Assassinating one would be a piece of cake.

And finally, Roma and Venezia would be ours. It was, after all, rightfully ours. Their principessa, their duchessa did not stand a chance.

I looked out the carriage window and we were still some ways away from Roma. It was quite outside now and under the blazing heat of the sun, I could only hear some birds chirping. The crunching of the wood underneath the carriage was the only other thing that could be heard.

The trip consisted of the four of us discussing the assassination of Valeria Rossi for which, Roma and Venezia would surely thank me once I opened their eyes, as well as switching to lighter, more fun topics - courtesy of Leo.

Venezia and Roma - in reality, would not thank me but at the end of the day, I would have both of those under my control. The territory from Roma to Venezia would be mine. I already controlled the territory from Milano to Firenze to Verona, and once I overthrew the House of Rossi and Bianchi, a united Italia would be formed. I would surely see to it.

"Must you stare out the carriage like a damsel in distress?" Amadeo smacked me upside the head. Naturally, he earned a dramatic groan from me.

"Headache?" Lord Massimo asked as he shook his head, holding it in his hands.

"No thanks, I've already got one," my reply even made Lord Massimo, the most stoic out of all of us, chuckle.

It was a long journey, and I didn't spend too much time thinking or planning ahead anymore. I knew exactly how the principessa would go down and this was the only time I'd get to relax before getting to the Palace of Venezia, il Palazzo delle Perle.

How awful it was of Principessa Valeria to barely even show her face to the lesser parts of her cities - I'd heard, and I was sure. That most days, she'd be sullying around the city's streets, ones that were full of others that rejoiced in status and wealth, just like her pathetic, dim-witted brother and her father when he was younger.

I could not help but swell with pride at the thought of destroying everything Antonio Rossi held dear to his heart. I'd start with his daughter, then his kingdom, and then, I'd deal with the remaining few Rossi family members.

Valeria Rossi, I'd run if I were you.

I knew she was preparing to one day be the Queen of Venezia, and her brother the King of Roma, but that wouldn't happen. No, it would be me. And the title would be passed down to my children. Not hers.

Lord Massimo had warned me to not be too confident in myself but he was underestimating me. If there was one person that could carry this out, it was me. Even if it was the House of Rossi I was dealing with. I had nothing to fear.