Prologue

*Only part of this chapter is in third person. The rest of the story is going to be in first person.*

Re: King

Regina: Queen

***

"What do you mean you want to help us?" The King Rossi shouted at the man that stood in front of him, agitated by the unexpected help.

Re Antonio Rossi of Roma and Venezia - or as he was better known as - Capocrimine Rossi (by the Milanese, Veronese, and the Florentines, who unlike the Romans and the Venetians, did not love him) could have hardly even bothered to talk to Re Alessio D'Angelo, if it wasn't for this peculiar offer.

Re Alessio III: As hated as he was by the Romans and the Venetians, he was equally just as loved by the Milanese, Veronese, and the Florentines.

As great as the two kings were and as highly their own people regarded them, generations old rivalries did not die just like that.

"You, too, are far too aware of what I imply. My son, Principe Romeo, will be at your assistance," Alessio stayed calm and unaffected by Antonio's sudden outburst.

But Antonio knew the crisis his family - his people would face if he did not act quickly. The southern kingdom would attack and his people would be wiped away. His daughter would be hurt.

His daughter.

He had to protect her. Principessa Valeria Rossi, the Duchessa of not only his people but his entire heart, could not be hurt. So he would take whatever the risk was and accept Alessio's help. With that kind of manpower, they would surely outperform the southerners.

"I do not trust you or that son of yours. How can I be guaranteed your loyalty?" Antonio inquired further, knowing that something was off.

As exhausting as it was to trust the enemy, Alessio knew Antonio wanted to do it - and it would all be for Valeria and Nikolas. For as long as he lived, no one could touch his children. People had talked about Antonio Rossi in all kinds of ways. Some loved him, and others outside his areas of governance didn't - but they all agreed on his love for his children. His daughter specifically.

"I don't particularly fancy the Southerners." King Alessio's reason seemed quite vague to Antonio. Reasonable, but vague. "And before you question me further, Antonio, I do not believe that my reasons are any of your concern. It is up to you, but remember, if you do not choose to let Romeo help you, you will regret that decision when your children are hurt entirely because of you. Because of a foolish mistake you made that could have easily been avoided."

"And if you should bring my family harm in any way - ," King Antonio threatened.

"You have my word. We shall bring no harm to you. Surely you must know that in dire circumstances, even the most unlikely of allies must come together against a common enemy," Re Alessio lacked patience, and his unwillingness to sit there just to explain showed it well. "I shall send the Principe - my son, over once you return home."

"I think you understand why I don't exactly trust you, Alessio," Re Antonio responded, but there had been no doubt in his mind of accepting the other king's assistance. Not when Re Antonio had a plan of his own. Not when Re Antonio knew exactly how this conversation that he was having would play out way before it happened.

"But this is a time of need, and I am willing to accept your offer. But to ensure your full honesty, I will task one of my children with the responsibility of keeping a check on your son. So don't be too alarmed if he comes running back to you, crying, because Valeria scared him off." He finished off.