Warning

Uta and I walked down the street, heading towards Anteiku. It was my day off after all, and I was determined to not only convey important information, but also spend time with Uta. It was the small things that mattered after all. Even reaching for his hand and moving closer when we crossed the street.

But that didn't stop my hand from trembling. It didn't make kissing anymore scary than it already was. He could sense I wasn't the same. But I'd never tell him why. I just couldn't. However he didn't hesitate in reassuring me whatever it was he was there for me. It made my decision to work for the doves again bearable.

We arrived at the small corner cafe, Uta opening the door for us both as we made our way inside the crowded place. "Uta-San!" A pair of small hands rushed to hug Uta, he seemed surprised but not uncomfortable. "Did you finish my mask yet?" I stared at the girl, the same girl from before, the one living here. "Not yet Hinami, I've been busy."

She turned to me, blinking a few times like she couldn't believe I was standing there. But I doubt she'd even remember m- "This is your girlfriend right? She's really pretty." He looked at me through his thick sunglasses without saying a word, but it still felt like he'd answered 'yes' . "Hinami could you tell the manager we need to talk to him?"

"He's not here now, but you can stay until he comes back." She tugged at my sleeve, walking me to a booth away from Uta. "Uta-San looked really happy just now, it's because you're back right?" I laughed lightly looking back to see Uta talking with Iori. "Yeah I hope that's true." She looked at me expectingly, like she wanted me to answer something.

"Is Kaneki also back?" I cringed at the thought, remembering his screams, and his twisted expression when he devoured Yamori. I stayed silent longer than I should have and Hinami shook my arm. "Is he okay?" I could feel my body involuntary shake with anxiety at the thought. Was he okay?

Could he be dead. Captured. If only I'd stay with him. "I don't really know, we where separated after we escaped." Uta turned to look at me, concerned. "I'm sure he's fine, he was the one that got us out." She looked relieved, happy even. And I could see everyone else let out an invisible sigh.

"Regardless I need to talk to everyone." Touka had run up to look for the manager, and Iori called everyone else. The cafe was closed, and as soon as the last customer walked out everyone's attention feel on me. "Before I became a ghoul I worked for the Doves. I only did research and experimented with weapons, but that's all I did."

"However after all this happened, I was fired. And I'm glad I was at the time but now that I had my run with Yamori I started working with them again." I paused when the room erupted with questions and as soon as the manager silenced them I continued.

"The thing is I'm looking for Kaneki, he went on his own after we got out. And I had no other choice than to stay with the Doves. But they are getting closer, specifically to Anteiku." It was as if the small amount of anger they had towards me turned into gratitude. They looked relieved at the same time they looked frightened.

"So what do you suggest?" The manager spoke for the first time. "I'll stay in contact, and try to cover for you as much as I can. The only problem being Amon..." I muttered the last part to myself. And the man did pose a threat, sticking his business where he shouldn't. "I have to go back this afternoon. But I'll give everyone my number just in case everything goes to shit."

For once I eased the tension in the room, they had more reassurance. And at least I knew I could protect them for now. "Would you like something to eat?" Iori offered me a plate of baked goods. "Actually I lost my appetite for human food, I'll have some coffee instead please." Uta blinked a few times, like he couldn't picture me gagging at a burger.

"Really?" I shrugged accepting the fresh cup "yeah I don't really like ash flavored ice cream." I finished my cup, and chatted up a storm, avoiding the parts that involved Yamori's torture. I waved everyone off and Uta walked me out, seemingly upset.

Before I could even ask what was wrong he turned to hug me. It wasn't a long hug but it felt like he was indirectly telling me goodbye. "I'll see you again you sap." He whispered 'I know' so quietly I wouldn't know he said it if I didn't feel his mouth pressed on my shoulder. He kissed my cheek, and it hurt more than any knife Yamori stuck in me.