12. Tension At Harlem

Start from the beginning

Vincenzo threw the empty can in the bin and walked outside. He walked to his father and smiled as he took his spot next to him for the rest of lunch time. His father was talking to Sterling Johnson and kept giving him glances that only he could interpret as curious looks.

Sterling liked Vincenzo's air of authority and elegance. He was so much like his father. As he was chatting with Francesco, the time came for the women to leave and the men to go to the conference room. Sterling whispered to Francesco " Do you have any requests Francesco. Do you want me to change the seating arrangement to suit you or anything else?"

Francesco shook his head " No. Sterling you have done enough. I will keep the peace. It's part of the conference."

Sterling felt saddened by his lack of power to avoid a meeting between Francesco and his father. The Italian guests had not entered yet. It was their style to enter after lunch into conference room. He wished he didn't have to host this event. He hated for Francesco to be forced to endure his father's company on his territory but he didn't make such decisions. He nodded and made his way to the meeting room as he instructed the guards to guide the guests to the special conference room he had arranged for this day in his massive meeting hall.

The Americans took their seats looking at their watches in the oval shaped room that had chairs on platforms arranged like the senate. As the guards started serving wine to the waiting guests, the doors opened with announcement of the Italians arriving.

Vincenzo watched as the doors opened and the Sicilian families came through including his grandfather who was one of the last of them to enter through one of the doors with many others including Vitale. From the other door, Arturo Agostini with His son Andreas who entered next. Then there was Ambrogio Voltolini and his nephew Scorpius followed by Cristofero Constantini and his son Cesario Cain. Lucianos were the last to enter. Juliano Luciano came inside with the dangerous glint in his eye that Vincenzo was wary of. Vincenzo had a grudge against him after how he had gone after Viggo and Angelia. He didn't like him. He didn't want anything more than making him pay but of course the fact that Andreas was in love with Juliano's sister, Julietta complicated the matters.

As everyone sat down, Sterling Johnson addressed the guests. After formal introductions and stating the rules, he sat down giving the main platform to the Irish who talked about the FBI and how the regions under their control was affected. Then the Italians one by one discussed the impact of the new laws on their trade. The Americans were on the same page and the meeting was going well for day one of the conference.

Sterling stood up and asked for any other business to be discussed. That was Vitale's turn to go up there. Vincenzo knew the speech he was going to give word by word. Vitale had written it along time ago and had rehearsed it. It shocked the attendees when he referred to the attempt on the life of the Luciano bride by Letizia Marciano in that infamous incident. The recitation of the incident was confusing the people since they weren't sure of the outcome except for the angry interruptions from the Lucianos throwing threats at Letizia's father. That did it. Vitale roared at them to be quiet and stated his claim on her and explained how Vincenzo had been safekeeping her like any honourable Rosario would have in that situation. The room fell silent at that point as the entire room were staring between Vincenzo and Vitale. Vincenzo didn't care about that. He didn't mind. But then his father's stare on him was the heavy one. Viggo was looking at Vincenzo with his mouth open with total disbelief.

Paulo was looking at his grand son with a smile.

Then there were the other mob bosses staring at Vincenzo too with unreadable expression.

Emanuelle O'Neil alongside Tristan from the Irish side of the room were also looking right at Vincenzo too thoughtfully and silently. Emanuelle was shaking his head while Tristan could not believe what he had heard. How could he miss that all this time? He was observant and he hadn't managed to find out about his secrets.

Of course after seconds past I'm silence, it hit the room what Vitale was proposing. He was asking for a pardon for Letizia so she could go back to Italy safely. Uproar came from the Luciano family side. The others present were shouting their opinions as chaos broke out.

Vincenzo watched as his father stood up " Vincenzo. I need to have a word with you outside."

Vincenzo stood up quickly " Yes. Of course."

Sterling stood up and walked to the platform asking for silence. He put his hand up and immediately the room went silent. The host was to be respected. As the room fell silent, Sterling glanced at Francesco and Vincenzo's standing form " May I ask you to remain seated please. We can't resolve this without a Rosario vote from you, Francesco. He almost sounded like he was pleading to Francesco not to leave the room.

Francesco spoke as his voice boomed in the room " I need to speak to my son outside regarding this matter."

The voices from left and right objected to Francesco from all directions " You have an honourable son Francesco...". " He did his duty. Now stay to give us your vote..." . "Congratulations Francesco on your honourable son..." . " Francesco can we have a word with your son instead. The young man can pass on some judgement here."

Francesco glanced at Vincenzo " Outside now." He then announced " I will be back in five minutes." He then grabbed his son's arm and dragged him outside.

As Francesco stepped outside, he turned to his son " What the hell just happened in there? Is this all true son? You harboured this secret for a year and a half for Vitale? Why didn't you come to me? I need to know son. Most importantly do you have other secrets I don't know of?"

Vincenzo declared " I am so sorry father ... I ..." Just then he looked past his father as the door opened and Viggo rushed outside " You have to come in father. There is tension and chaos inside. You have to be present. Rosarios are involved."

Francesco rubbed his forehead with his hand "Vincenzo you better have no more surprises for me young man. We will discuss this later." He then shook his head muttering under his breath as he then entered the conference room followed by his sons but nothing prepared him for the tension in the room. He witnessed a heated exchange between the Voltolinis, Rosarios and Lucianos on the platform as arguments were thrown around the room. This was a feud like no other as the matters became more complex with the words exchanged between the youth in each family.