13: ABANDONED

Image: Watercolor Winter Wonderland by MaDonnas

Soundtrack: Wolfborn by BrunuhVille

***

I open my eyes but it's still pitch-black inside my tent. I'd been tossing and turning, unable to sleep for most of the early hours, continuously awakened by a panicked mind. Yawning, I turn over in my sleeping bag. My body aches from staying in the same cramped position and I'm tempted to Shift; at least then I'd be lying on different muscle groups.

Why is it still so early? Surely it's been a few hours since I'd eavesdropped on David and Lauren.

I gingerly slip out of the sleeping bag and peel the tent flaps apart. A crack of blinding light peeps out at my feet and I gasp.

An oversize tarp hangs across my tent, blocking out the light. I rip the material aside, ducking as I step into the morning air. Feeling my fangs cut into my lower lip, I only half-heartedly tame the beast within. How could they do this to me?

The beta of our clan sits on a stump nearby, his body turned ninety degrees from me. The rest of the campsite is deserted. Many of the tents are missing; it appears as if over half the clan went with Lauren and David.

Upon hearing my approach, Mr. Adolphus stands and faces me. "Skye—"

"Where are they?" I burst out, not bothering to use any sort of formality. He's in on this, and I'm not going to waste my energy on being polite with him. Not even when he's my great uncle. "When did they leave?"

"About two hours ago, I would say." The beta sighs, his chestnut eyes downcast.

"Which way?"

"I can't—"

"Please."

He sighs. "They're long gone, Skye. I'm sorry, but they've been working on this plan for years. They're meeting with your father."

"And Margo?" I close my eyes, feeling liquid pooling at their edges. I reach up with a sleeve to dab at them.

"My daughter went with them."

I massage my temples with excessive force. "I never got to speak with her about all this! How could they just abandon me?"

"Skye, we have to stay here. It's important; do you understand? We need to stay together."

"If we had to stay together, we'd have all gone with them. They're flying to London, aren't they? Meeting up with my dad. My dad. I haven't seen him in seven years!"

"You're too young, Skye!" Mr. Adolphus barks. "Show some restraint!"

I cover my eyes with clammy palms, choking back sobs as I sink to the ground. "I've almost graduated! I can practically take care of myself!"