An Old Flame

As her best friend Nina's maid of honor, Luna thought she would be walking down the aisle alone, right before Nina would be presented. As that was a tradition and what was part of the original plan. That is until Nina changes it moments before rehearsal dinner is about to start.

"What do you mean you're giving me a partner, I was supposed to go by myself?" Luna asked her best friend with a dangerously raised voice. Nina hushed her. "Gaston wanted his best man to walk down the aisle instead of being with him at the beginning," Nina explained. Luna crossed her arms pouty. "Well, are you going to at least tell me who he is?" Nina looks at Luna with a nervous face, looking down at the floor of the bathroom. "It's Matteo Balsano."

Luna widened her eyes in fear. Her ex-high school crush. The most popular boy of Blake South College. The forgotten main man of his wingman Gaston Perida. The one who never cared to look in her direction even once. Luna had put all her effort to get him to notice her, and nothing. And now she had to walk down the aisle with him tomorrow.

"Are you serious? I have to be walking down with HIM within the next five minutes AND tomorrow?" Luna shakily raised her voice even higher. "Do you have any idea how much pain he caused me all those years in high school?" Nina sympathized for her best friend. "Yes, I know. He never acknowledged you when he should have. But he's Matteo's best friend. I had no say in this. He won't bite just try not to pull his hair out for a bit, okay?" Nina begged of Luna. She still had a pouty face. But it was her wedding, she had to make sure everything went off without a hitch.

"Fine." Luna gritted her teeth. Nina gave her a thumbs up. "Okay great, now let's get out there." Nina pushed Luna out of the bathroom and into the lobby. All of the other bridesmaid and groomsmen couples were lined up and in place. Nina's bridesmaid court included their high school friends Jim Medina and Yam Sanchez, along with two friends from her literature classes in college Petra and Jane, with Luna of course. Paired with Gaston's groomsmen were Ramiro Ponce from Blake, two of his cousins, and another friend from college, and then there's Matteo Balsano. At the very end of the line, right in front of Ricardo, Nina's father, conversing.

Luna boiled inside. The mere thought of standing next to him made her nauseous. But Nina pulled her along to the line. As they got closer, Matteo noticed and smiled. Nina introduced them. "Luna, this is Gaston's best man and your escort, Matteo Balsano. Matteo, this is my best friend and maid of honor Luna Valente." Luna could only tightly grin at him as he extended his hand out to her. "Hello, Luna," he greeted. She nodded as politely as possible. "Hello."

Just as Nina was about to say something, the music started up and the first couple started walking. Matteo offered out his arm to her and she obligately took it. They watched the other three couples walk down. Just before Matteo and Luna walked down together, Luna turned around to look at Nina, who gave her a hopeful smile in return. Suddenly it was their turn to walk. They walked in sync while staying at a good distance from the couple right in front of them. Soon they were at the very front of the altar, a quick walk. They parted ways, Matteo joined the groom's side, while Luna at the bride's.

Then Nina came down. Both Nina and Gaston's parents and grandparents stood up at this time as part of the rehearsal. She and Ricardo walked down slowly, as when tomorrow actually came her dress would need extra time to cross. It felt like a while before she went to join Gaston at the front of the altar.

-

The rehearsal goes by quickly. However, Luna kept peering over to the other side at Matteo who would be staring back at the exact same time smirking. She would just roll her eyes whenever he did this.

They have dinner afterward at Nina and Gaston's favorite restaurant. A private room was reserved for the event just for them, as they were a big group. After dinner, everyone got up and just walked all over the room jumping from one conversation to another, refilling their wine glasses.