A Surprise

Matteo had planned a very special night for Luna. They had only been dating for a for a few weeks, but tonight he was going to ask her to become his girlfriend. 

By 6:30 p.m. sharp, Matteo arrived at Luna's University apartment doorstep with a bouquet of red roses behind his back. She opened the door in delight to see her date.She wore at tight cobalt blue dress and black heels, as Matteo had told her they would be going somewhere nice. And he in slacks and button down with an almost matching blue tie. 

Matteo greeted her hello and leaned down to kiss her cheek and presented the roses. Luna blushed at the gesture. "Wow, Matteo. they're beautiful. Thank You." 

She went back inside for a brief moment to put the flowers in a vase, Matteo following her trail. As she was preparing the flowers, curiosity came over her. "So where are we going tonight on this 'special date'" Luna asked. Matteo grew a cheeky grin. "You won't know it until we see it." 

Matteo was taking her to an exclusive work event. About a few months ago when Matteo was looking for a job, he applied for an opening at a new restaurant that was opening up in Buenos Aires. There are several restaurants around South America, originally owned by a couple from Cancun, as it is a Mexican restaurant. Tonight is the grand opening. He hasn't started working yet as they still hadn't opened yet and won't be on duty until tomorrow as his position allowed him to attend the opening as a guest. The event was exclusively for important business people and potential sponsors, but off duty staff members were invited as well. He felt this was the perfect opportunity to ask her at such a nice event and show her where he works as well. 

Once Luna places the now beautifully arranged flowers into a vase, she places them on the dining table and grabs her purse. She takes his hand and they walk down stairs to the parking lot. He opens the car door for her and rushes back to the other side to drive. A few minutes in, Luna's phone alerts a new voicemail came in. She starts listening to it only to groan and delete it a few seconds later. 

"Is everything alright?" Matteo asks. Luna looks over at him with a soft smile. "Yeah, it was just my mom. She's a little bit mad I'm skipping an event she wanted me to go to tonight but I told her I couldn't." Matteo didn't know how to respond. "I'm sorry about that." was all he could think of. Luna shrugged, "It's fine, I always follow through and go to tons. One night shouldn't be the end of it." She gives him a reassuring smile and grabs his hand and holds it on top of the console.

A few minutes later, they pull up into the restaurant parking lot and Luna kept twisting her head back and forth between the building and Matteo in disbelief. Matteo noticed but continued in an excited way. Once in park, he finally spoke again. "So remember how I told you I got a job? Well, it's actually the opening night dinner party that we're attending, surprise!" Luna just gaped at him, mouth wide open. 

"Matteo, this is where you work?!" Luna asked. Matteo nods his head slowly, a little scared at her reaction. "Matteo, this is my parent's restaurant. The one they started back at home in Cancun! My parents are your boss, you work for my parents!"

All Matteo could do was stare at her in utter shock. "When you told me that your parents worked in a business, you never mentioned the fact that their business was a restaurant! Not to mention the fact that it was one I got hired at!" Matteo raised his voice at Luna. She shrunk in her seat and Matteo immediately regretted it.

"I didn't mean to yell at you, I'm sorry. I'm not mad. I'm just very confused with all of this." Luna nodded her head to accept his apology. 

"Well, first of all, you never told me exactly where you were working in the first place, so I couldn't have told you anything about it. And second of all, I don't tell people because I'm not part of the business, it's theirs. They wanted me to be a part of it for so long. I even waitressed when it was just one place in Cancun for a bit. They wanted me to study business so I could carry it on. But I really wanted to study environmental engineering. They're okay with it, supportive. It's just a bit hard. But I'm glad I left. I'm doing what I want for myself for a change."