FIFTY ONE

CHAPTER 51 | AN INVITATION

WARNING: CHAPTER CROSSES OVER AND CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM MY OTHER GOT FICS, "SINNER" AND "HOWLING"

"YOU have a parcel waiting for you outside, my lord."

Jaime Lannister, former Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, walked the hallowed halls of the Red Keep. Court had just adjourned, leaving Jaime tired and not willing to form proper responses. All he wanted at that moment was to sit down and shut his eyes, but it was only early in the afternoon. Sometimes, especially on days like that, he didn't know if it was his body that was dragging him, or his large, golden hand.

But at the call of his name, Jaime lifted his head. Two men of the Kingsguard looked at him, waiting for an answer. Jaime only blinked, as he was confused to why he had a parcel waiting for him outside the doors of the Red Keep. He never received parcels or boxes outside, they were always brought to him.

Jaime cleared his throat, shaking himself from his thoughts. "Why must I find my carton outside?"

"Suspicions and conspirators against the crown run high, Ser Jaime. Forgive us, but we cannot always trust bringing foreign packages into your abode from now on."

Jaime couldn't argue with his statement. The Kingsguard began to lead him outside his walls, outside his home – an area that might've made him feel unsafe. But Jaime never felt safe these days, what with Cersei's new ways of taking down that Targaryen girl's invaders at Dragonstone. War was upon them – again – and alas, all Jaime wanted to do was shut his damn eyes.

The crate was waiting outside the entrance of the Red Keep. It sat near the gates, where two more Kingsguard stood, watching over the outskirts of the castle. The men who led him there drifted off to stand beside their colleagues, silently waiting for Jaime to open the package. They were armed and ready in case of something dire, but they didn't know what.

Jaime stared at the crate for a moment in confusion. His eyes narrowed before he cautiously stepped forward, taking each step as if his life depended on it. He looked up at the Kingsguard for moment, debating his options to open the crate. I mean, the men were right. There were many conspirators against the crown now, who was to say that this package could've been from them?

Folded in between the crevices of the crate was a small piece of parchment. Jaime plucked the scroll from the box, unraveling it. He began to notice a strong odor wafting into the air, causing the confusion to completely muddle his brain.

Jaime's eyes finally focused on the unraveled scroll in his hands – one real and one of forged golden metal. The writing was almost unrecognizable, and was written in a heavy quill, he presumed. Splotches of ink dotted the corners of the page. The scroll read: