THIRTY THREE

CHAPTER 33 | TO RATHER BURN NOR KNEEL

THE doors to the great hall of Bear Island opened, allowing the group of Sansa, Jon, Davos, and Maia entrance

THE doors to the great hall of Bear Island opened, allowing the group of Sansa, Jon, Davos, and Maia entrance. The unfamiliar blonde stood in back of Ser Davos, aware that she was clearly unknown, but Jon said he agreed to involve her in as much business as possible (besides fighting), so here she stood.

A guard, maester, and small girl sat at the table in front of them. The room was adorned in various crests and colors, all pertaining to House Mormont. The ceiling opened up to a glass pane, overlooking a beautiful-yet-cloudy sky. The child at the head table looked up at their party of four oddly, as if she already hated being in their presence. They all bowed their heads as Jon greeted, "Lady Mormont."

"Welcome to Bear Island," the young girl continued to frown.

The silence became deafening while Maia stared at the crackling fire in back of Lady Mormont. The child noticed this, giving her a narrowed-eyed look. A bird cawed from outside. Jon looked to Sansa for support.

"I remember when you were born, my Lady." Sansa smiled. "You were named for my aunt, Lyanna. They said she was a great beauty. I'm sure you will be too."

Lyanna scowled. "I doubt it. My mother wasn't a great beauty or any other kind of beauty. She was a great warrior though. She died fighting for your brother, Robb."

Sansa gave her brother a wide-eyed glance. "Yikes," Maia muttered under her breath, but loud enough for Ser Davos to turn.

"I served under your uncle at Castle Black, Lady Lyanna." Jon said, offering help to his sister. "He was also a great warrior and an honorable man. I was his steward. In fact, I –"

"I think we've had enough small talk." Lyanna interrupted. "Why are you here?"

Jon swallowed a lump lodged in his throat. "Stannis Baratheon garrisoned at Castle Black before he marched on Winterfell and was killed. He showed me the letter you wrote to him when he petitioned for men. It said –"

"I remember what it said." The child sneered. "Bear Island knows no king but the King in the North, who's name is Stark."

Jon nodded. "Robb is gone, but House Stark is not. And it needs your support now more than ever." He gestured to Sansa. "I've come with my sister to ask for House Mormont's allegiance."

Lyanna leaned over to her maester, whispering desperate words in his ear. Maia looked at Ser Davos, who was studying the young girl's actions. She moved back to her regular position after a moment. "As far as I understand, you're a Snow, and Lady Sansa is a Bolton. Or is she a Lannister? I've heard conflicting reports."

"I did what I had to do to survive, my Lady." Sansa explained. "But I am a Stark. I will always be a Stark."

Lyanna shrugged. "If you say so." Her gaze then fell on Maia. "And who are you? You're so unfamiliar, I can't understand if you're a bastard or something else."