EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER 18 | TALES OF THE MODERN AGE

GILLY had done nothing but ask Maia what her time was like – from entertainment to clothing and speech

GILLY had done nothing but ask Maia what her time was like – from entertainment to clothing and speech. The Wildling was mystified by the way Maia had lived, surprising herself that there was world outside of their own.

Maia wasn't used to being so open with someone, but when she had been up since four AM just talking with Gilly, she realized the girl meant a lot to her. Finally confiding in someone felt like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders, and really helped to ease the sadness of Maester Aemon's death.

"So ... you use an object called cell ... phones ... to communicate?"

Maia nodded at her friend's question. "They allow you to speak to someone in a different area, even if they're millions of miles away."

The Wildling became dumbfounded by the foreign object. She wished they had as such at the Wall, but knew that it was clearly impossible. "What of your family? I have never heard you mention them, or known of any House Sanders before this news."

Maia glanced upwards, surprised at the question. "My family? We don't speak." She shook her head with a sigh. "After just turning eighteen, I had moved somewhere farther away to continue my education. Women in my time do more than nurse babies and cook; would you believe that they fight for others as well?"

"Not at all."

"They do," Maia nodded. "I haven't seen many women here even know how to read, which troubles me, because I think that everyone should know as such. I had been going to school for twelve years before that, but wanted a more formal education than I was getting. Since the day I left, my family hasn't contacted me. I feel they have forgotten about me, their only child."

Gilly sat back in her seat, confusion adorning her face as she carried on with her questions. "And you came here through a weirwood tree?"

"Technically," the blonde shrugged. "I had seen a tree while on holiday that looked exactly like the one outside of the Wall. I fainted and the next thing I know, I wake up in the middle of winter. That's why I had questioned you about the tree in the past." She sighed at the memories. "Imagine my shock rather than yours."

"You talked about a man named ... Derek, was it?" Gilly asked, for which Maia nodded. "He was this fiancé thing? What is that exactly?"

Maia bit her lip. "It means we were engaged to be married. Our wedding was coming up around the time I came here." She paused. "He's actually a big fan of your world. He explained to me all the lore and information."

"So can you tell the future?"

The blonde took a moment to collect her thoughts before frowning. Truly, she didn't know everything, only small bits and pieces she randomly remembered. She tried to explain this to Jon, but he thought her mad. Maybe in this world, she could theoretically tell the future.