THREE

CHAPTER 3 | THE TRAVEL

JON Snow had never seen a sight like it before

As Olly fetched Longclaw for him, the Lord Commander readied his stance before Janos Slynt after the man had rudely disobeyed his orders. Jon tried his hardest to stay focused as the former Commander of the City Watch pled for mercy.

Up above, exactly to the West of where he should've been watching, Jon watched several clouds swirl in a violent motion in the sky. It was almost as if a hole was forming within the air, but Jon knew that to be impossible. A storm was definitely brewing, though that was a daily occurrence at the Wall, so he wasn't the least bit surprised. Although, the fierce and turbulent motion of the sky, that was what scared him.

Jon breathed out. "If you have any last words, my Lord, now's the time."

"I was wrong!" Janos begged as he leaned over the post. "You're the Lord Commander; we all serve you! I'm sorry, not just for this, but for all I've done and said! I was wrong!"

Jon prepared himself, causing his confidence to deteriorate as the lower Commander shivered in front of him.

"My Lord, please! Mercy!"

The Lord Commander stilled.

"I'll go, I will! Please. I'm afraid. I've always been afraid."

Jon felt his face contort into anger. This was a man who had defied him many times before, not just for his growing status, but for his birth right. And finally when he had the authority over him because of one last wrong action, he now cowered before him. It had never made him more infuriated.

He watched the tears fall down Janos' face, and for one split second, Jon admitted he felt pity. But that pity was soon overshadowed by the Commander's past – the way he used to look down on Jon.

And when the Lord Commander's blood began to boil, he swung his sword over his head, slicing Janos' head right off his body.

Blood poured on the ground, staining his boots, as he handed Longclaw to the man beside him. Jon stared at his work, what he had done. He felt no pain or guilt. His stare moved to Stannis Baratheon, who was watching from a balcony in the courtyard. The king nodded his head in approval.

Before removing himself from the premises, Jon took one last look at the storm ahead. If he was intoxicated, he would've sworn he saw the hole in the sky growing deeper and deeper. In the end, it was just a figment of his imagination.

•••

Derek's kisses from the night before still lingered on Maia's skin, tainting her scent with only him.

She sighed happily as she stood from the mattress, leaning across and kissing her fiancé's sleeping form. Walking towards the balcony, Maia opened the doors and embraced the sweet smell of freshly cut grass. She looked out to see the trail she noticed yesterday, thinking that she could really use a walk on this beautiful morning.