Chapter 10

Run... Scream... Do something to break his hands away from your body. He's doing it again. He's touching you. Marcus is right in front of you, Piper. Marcus is lying over your weak body.  He's pinning you down and forcing you to stop crying from pain. "Shut up! I'm going to take you, and I'm going to take our child back and we will be happy!" His voice is so demanding. "Stop, Marcus!"  I scream and fight at the body hovering over me.

          A voice pulls my body towards consciousness. "It's okay, it's okay, Piper!" Jacob holds my wrists tightly and I can see the worry and sadness in his eyes. "You called me Marcus when I tried to wake you up..." He looks hurt. I apologize and turn my head into his chest. I can't seem to catch my breath.

          "Up, up, up." I hear into my ear as I feel the hair move away from my face. I let out a groan and throw my head under the covers. "Piper Johnson, you have a big day today," Jacob says softly through the covers, "We are going to see what we're having since you missed your last appointment." I remove the covers and look at Jacobs' face, blinking a few times to gain focus. "The only reason I missed the last appointment was because you didn't remind me. Hello, I can't remember anything anymore. Not my fault." I sit up and rub my eyes.

          "Well hello, sleeping beauty." He smiles and I can tell it's sarcasm because I am aware of the fact that every morning I wake up with my hair stretched out in every direction. I give him a sarcastic smile and drag myself out of bed.

          I decide I'll wear some dark blue maternity jeans that Tyler bought me, and a light colored tank top that is completely bland and boring. Once my hair and makeup look half decent, and Jacob already tells the cop outside where we are going, we are on our way.

          Tyler insists on coming with us because he is just as excited as knowing what the baby is then Jacob and I. As he sits in the back, he talks nonstop to Jacob in the driver's seat about what it feels like to be an uncle. Then, he goes to talk about this new guy he is talking to. After he has told us all about Jarred, he turns to work, and how being a lawyer is the hardest job he has ever done.

          I guess I dose off in between Tyler's constant talk about the different types of law, and the different types of men he is into, because when I open my eyes we are at our destination. Poor Jacob had to listen to that the entire way here, but he doesn't mind. As long as Tyler is in a good mood.

          Stepping through the glass doors, Tyler takes a seat and I follow Jacob to the front desk. "Piper Johnson has an appointment at ten." Her nametag says Susan, and she gives Jacob a happy smile with her awkwardly crooked teeth. "Yes, you guys are just on time!" She turns to face me. "I'm such a fan, Mrs. Johnson. Would you mind signing this?" She slides a piece of paper and a pen across the desk. Is she fucking kidding? Why the hell does everyone act like what happen to me is so great? Why do they treat me like I'm so different? She waits for my answer and holds her cheesy and slightly annoying smile. What the fuck ever... I take the paper and write my name, then walk away to sit by Tyler.

          "What the fuck is wrong with people? Did you see that? I can't believe these damn peo-"

          "Watch your language, Piper. Whatever you say, the baby hears." He winks. Oh, well excuse the fuck out of me...

          Just as Jacob is walking over to sit by me, a nurse comes through the door and calls my name. My brother and my boyfriend are more excited than I am. I'm not very excited and I don't know why. Jacob wants a boy, someone to take fishing and do boy stuff with. Tyler was hoping for a girl, I'm guessing so he can help pick out cute clothes and do her hair every now and then. As I follow the nurse through the door, I decide that I don't care what gender this baby is, as long as it's healthy, I don't care.

          The woman brings us into a room and makes me lay down on the bed. The papers underneath me crinkle as I get comfortable, and Jacob walks over to stand beside the bed. The woman leaves the room in silence as we wait for my doctor to come in. Looking out the window, I can feel Jacob put his hand on my stomach. I turn to face him and place my hand over his, and he lets a smile creep out of the sides of his soft lips.

          "You know, I heard that Richard dude left mom, and didn't take hardly any of his stuff... Just the clothes on his back and the truck keys." Tyler says, looking over to me and Jacob. "That house is just abandoned now... With all of Mother's stuff left behind, and all your old stuff too. Jacob only had time to grab some of your clothes, because he was so eager to see you. I would've done the same thing. If you want, we can go back and get some of your stuff." I blink at the thought of stepping foot back into that house. There is nothing there that I could want. But, my curiosity wants to find out more of what happened to mom. I need to find out what really happened, and that house might give me the information I need. So, I agree. "Yeah, I want to go get some stuff, but I think it would be best to go alone, let me do this myself..." Tyler nods in agreement, and before he can say anything else, the door swings open.

          "Nice to see you again, Piper," Dr. Wright walks toward me and lifts up my shirt. "You've gained a few stretch marks since I last saw you." Uh, okay... Was that really necessary to say? He has always been an odd man, but he is good at his job, and that's why Jacob called him. "You know how this goes; it's going to be cold," He says.

          "Yeah, I know," I say as he puts the cold gel on my stomach. Jacob slides his hand into mine, as the doctor looks at the screen. A perfect baby figure appears, and Tyler walks over to get a better look.

          "We've already had paparazzi show up at our office this morning looking for you, Piper. They sure are on top of everything you are doing. They wanted to know what time you came in, so I told them you were coming in tomorrow. You're welcome." He says giving me a wink.

          "Thank you." Is all I can manage to say. I can't take my eyes off of the baby on the screen. It's so perfect...

          "Congratulations, Piper, and Jacob. You are having a healthy baby boy." He looks over and smiles. Jacob lets out a breath of air and he releases his clenched hand from mine. A baby boy... So many thoughts go through my mind as Tyler smiles with acceptance.

          Once we thank Dr. Wright with big smiles on our faces, we pile back into the car and talk about baby names. "I like Edward," Tyler suggests. "Ewe, no... What about Daniel?" Jacob says. "No, no, no. Daniel Mathews doesn't sound right to me..." I say as Jacob gives me a warm smile as he puts on his blinker to turn down our street.

          Tyler insists on turning his office into a baby room. Jacob went to visit his mother, so now it's just me and Tyler. "I was thinking blue walls and I could maybe paint animals and stuff on it," I say, sitting beside him on the couch, rubbing my stomach. He listens to everything I say and even puts some ideas of his own in. "And, we could do a white crib, and I could put together a row of drawers that you could put diapers in, and his clothes." He says, and without hesitation, he reaches over and touches my stomach. I stiffen up... Nobody besides Jacob and Dr. Wright has ever touched my stomach. But, his hand is comforting and sweet. A smile creeps from his lips and I can feel the love of an uncle coming from him to my baby. "Tyler... How can you love someone so much that you haven't even met yet?" He looks up and takes his hand away. "That's what a mother's love is, Piper." He smiles. 

t