Chapter 3

I wake up, tired. I try to move, but my body does not respond. I look around. I am in a dark, gloomy, room. I fight my eyelids to stay open. Where am I? What's going on? The weight of sleep is stronger than I am. I don't even have the chance to piece together my confusion before I pass out again.

This happens several times – me, in and out – before I am finally able to stay conscious.

My eyes open mildly. A small flickering lamp emits just enough light to show me the mold all over the walls. I manage to make my hand move, only to realize a belt is strapped around it, holding me to an uncomfortable, dirty mattress. I replay the last thing in my mind that I remember. I look around, frightened. I try to scream, noticing a piece of duck tape is covering my mouth. I rapidly try to move but do not succeed. Both of my hands and feet are strapped tightly to the rails on the bed.

All of the sudden a door to my right swings open. A man, about six feet tall walks toward me. It is so dim in the room I can barely see his face. My mind is racing. Who is this? What's going to happen to me? Why am I here? Obviously, nothing good ever happens when you wake in a dirty room strapped to a bed with duck tape over your mouth.

"Hello, Piper." He walks toward me. The realization of him knowing my name brings zero comfort. I pull at the belts and twist my body. I try with every bit of might that I have. It's useless, I can't fucking move.

He goes to the lamp and turns it off. Now I can hardly see anything but his silhouette. He moves next to me, touches my face, and traces the length of my stomach. The touch is tender, not threatening. It's not what I was anticipating, but my body doesn't respond. I'm rigid and I want to pull away from the hand. "You have grown since I last saw you," He says. My confusion is swirling.

"Now, I'm going to take the tape off of your mouth. Don't scream." He pulls off the tape and I cringe at the stinging sensation I feel on my lips. Once the tape is off I explode. "What the hell do you think you are doing? You don't know me! Get me the hell out of here, damn it!" Before I can say anything else he covers his hand over my mouth. I try to move my head to shake if off when that doesn't work, I sink my teeth into the heel of his hand. That pisses him off, and suddenly his touch is no longer patient with me.

"I told you not to do that," He says and pushes his hand harder into my jaw. I squint and see him pull out a pocket knife with his other hand. My fear is silent, as he traces the knife along the side of my face. I don't move. I don't think I even breathe.

He laughs as he teases me with the knife "You wouldn't want me to make that pretty face of yours...not so pretty would you? Please don't make me hurt that pretty face that I haven't stopped thinking about for the past four years." I shake my head, furiously. I relax a little as he closes the knife and puts it back into his pocket. At this point my lungs are burning; I decide to take a small breath through my nose.

"I'm going to take my hand away. Don't scream." He says, and this time, I decide to listen. His hand leaves my face and he kneels beside the bed. His hand rests on mine. I tremble in fear.

"I've missed you so much Piper," He strokes my hair, "I never wanted to leave." He leans forward and kisses my cheek. I tell myself I have to be dreaming, but the realization of his soft, threatening lips on my face makes my eyes water.

I begin to cry, I try not to be loud, but he still notices. He wipes the tears away. "Sweet Piper, don't be sad. I would never hurt you." What the fuck? This guy just threatened me with a knife, and now he is saying he won't hurt me?

"Are you Kyle?" I whisper. My throat hurts, and it's hard to speak.

"No, I'm not Kyle," He sighs, not explaining his identity to me. "I missed you, and I know you missed me, too Piper." I have never been so confused. What is he talking about? How does he know me? His words are as deadly as venom.

"W-who the hell are you?" The pain in my throat sobs.

"You will find out soon enough. Once you get comfortable here, and we talk more, you will remember me. You will remember us." He stands up. "It's late. Go to sleep. I will see you in the morning, darling." The door shuts behind him.

I lay there in the darkness. My wrist and ankles hurt from the belt being too tight. I never thought I would find myself thinking this, but I want mom. I miss Jacob, and I want to be safely in his arms again. Why is this happening to me? I realize that my father never wanted to see me, or wanted anything to do with me. I cry until my entire face is drenched in tears.

I feel so weak. Even if I could move, I wouldn't have the strength. After hours of lying there motionless, my eyelids refuse to stay open.

The sound of heavy footsteps pulls me awake. I have the worst headache ever. I try to raise my head, and it only makes it worse. I open my eyes and once I discover where I am, a wave of depression splashes in my face.

"Good morning, sweetheart" I hear from across the room. His voice is sharp and dangerous. There are no windows in the room, so only a lamp is emitting light. He walks over, pulls a chair beside my bed, and begins to take off the belts that are holding my wrist to the bed. Once he is finished with both hands, I sit up slowly and rub the pain away from them. My ankles are left untouched. Why is he doing this? I want to believe this is a dream, but I can't.

"Once I know you won't run, I will take away the belts from your ankles." It's so hot in this little room, and I'm sweating from head to toe. I look at him. He looks to familiar. Finally, I focus on his features. He has a small beard, brown hair, green eyes. I realize his pupils are the size of olives. He has to be fucked up on drugs. I move to the foot of the bed, getting as far away from him as I can. I can't stand to be close to him. He notices my fear.

"You don't have to be scared of me Piper," He gets up, and sits on the bed close to me. "Like I have said before, I would never hurt you." He reaches for me with his giant hand, but I flinch away from him. I don't want that bastard touching me. His anger is noticeable.

He grabs my arm and pulls me to him, I cry out in fear. He looks at me with bloodshot eyes "I love you, Piper." He is too close to me. I try not to cry. I don't want to look at him. His breath smells like shit. I close my eyes and turn away. "Piper," He begins, "Many people don't know what they have until it's gone. I was one of those people. I lost you Piper, and I won't lose you again." He gives me a I-Love-You-But-I'm-A-Fucking-Creep look and turns my arm over to reveal marks. These marks are not scars I have caused. They are needle marks. Fear rushes through every part of my body. I realize that he drugged me while I was sleeping. Every bit of dignity and self-confidence is gone. Every bit of hope has slithered away and disappeared. I just want to get out of this hell.

"You're probably feeling pretty weak, right?" He takes his finger and traces the circles, and then he moves his hand down toward the scars on my wrist.

He leans in and hugs me. I didn't move, or flinch, or do anything. Then, an idea pops into my mind.

"Okay," I say, "We can be together." I hug him back as much as I can. I am so weak I can barely manage a light squeeze, but I wouldn't give him any more than that if I could. If I can gain his trust, I can find a way out of here. He leans away and smiles. Dear God, it's going to take every bit of strength I have to act like I love this man.

"I knew you would understand." He kisses me, and a disgusting taste enters my mouth. Then he unexpectedly takes off my ankle bracelets. I scrunch into a ball on the mattress. I have no idea what time it is, or how long I have been here. The man walks to the door and opens it.

Light shines in the room, stinging my eyes. I sit there. I am too weak to move. I want to get up and sprint out of the doorway, but a sudden drowsiness rolls over me. I roll to my side and try to close my eyes.

"Oh, no you don't," he walks over and picks me up. I am limp in his arms, which are surprisingly built. He carries me through the door, and fresh air fills my tired lungs. "We don't want you falling asleep, you might not wake up. I might have given you a bit too much that last time I injected you." My eyes open and close several times. I try to fight the urge to fall asleep. Finally, my eyelids get so heavy. I don't have the strength to keep them open.

ze:1�*0%�t+