Special 2 | Second Memoir

Memoir: Dazai Osamu was deemed unqualified for the special sprout of human frailty

The mesmerizing glow of the chandelier reflected upon her eyes as her pupils dilated from the brilliance. She attempted to block the commotion blaring throughout the building, but it seemed pointless as the sounds around her could only get powerful. The customers of the pub were celebrating a lavish event that they wouldn't dare to pass. Dresses adorned the figures of women and fitted suits uplifted the boldness within men. Though, of course, casual wear wasn't discriminated from such a public event.

The 20th anniversary of the pub was an effortless night shift for the employees. [Name] stood behind the bar as usual, watching the customers swing their bodies with the soft beat of the blues and raising their glasses of liquor in honor. A white button-down shirt shaped her body as did black trousers. She could feel the soles of her feet burning with slight pain because of the high heels she was required to wear. Nonetheless, the magnificence for the special night radiated from her very being. She smiled from time to time yet, something felt off.

"How are you holding up?" The head bartender asked beside her. Her lips formed a small smile as she shrugged her shoulders, indicating that what she felt didn't really matter when she was working. He roughly patted her shoulder in a friendly manner before he resumed filling glasses with whatever kind of liquor. [Name]'s smile slowly melted when her mind finally recognized why she felt a bit off. Hesitantly, she turned her head to face him and slightly gaped open her mouth to let out the words she wasn't quite sure to say.

"Dazai Osamu hasn't stopped by today, huh?" She thought his name would roll off her tongue simply, but it was like her lips were stitched from an invisible thread. His name was associated with pain and fear, but understanding that rumor never crossed her mind. Why she asked that question was beyond her knowledge.

The head bartender shook his head from side to side. He released a long sigh as he rubbed the nape of his neck. "It's a shame he couldn't show up. He's probably busy tonight."

[Name] let out a snort, leaning against the counter to compose herself. Dazai didn't seem the type to be busy, let alone have the effort to do any work. However, she had to remind herself that she didn't know anything about him. He was a mystery, not letting anyone cross the line he drew himself. She let her teeth grind together because she was infuriated with herself. To her, he conveyed emotions when the time called for it, but certain emotions didn't appear sincere at all. He had a notable trait of being able to adapt to any situation and make it work in his favor.

She averted her eyes from the cups on the counter to the people dancing in the center of her view. Their nonchalant grins and laughter should've relaxed the girl's muscles, but she inhaled deeply as she attempted to straighten her posture. The people dancing in front of her brought up a memory from not too long ago. She couldn't help but crinkle her eyebrows as her hands slowly clenched together.