3 | Third Memorandum

A man like Dazai Osamu can't possibly be fearsome.

She knew, she knew from the beginning that she was jeopardizing the very breath that conserved her life. Her status as a member of the Armed Detective Agency could most likely be the reason for her adversity and demise one day. There are crimes considered too violent or difficult for the Military Police to deal with, therefore, it becomes the responsibility of the Agency to solve those crimes. There are residents of Yokohama that respect the organization, whilst some completely disregard them. It becomes an endless cycle of prejudice, and those who defy the Port Mafia becomes a transparent welcome to the hell zone.

[Name] had been consistently mindful of the perils that encircled her, especially when she had no ability to guard herself. She perceived the exhilaration of surviving, but she knew to never underestimate an enemy. With that said, she had never been placed in a dangerous position all alone. She was a strong-willed woman, but there were just some cases that were out of her control. Remaining in a world where humans merely burn by a wooden match was a fiendish and childish game.

[Name] was content with the people she entrusted some part of her life to, maybe a little too much that it became a flaw of hers. As a whole, the members of the Agency were considered family to her. She refused to foresee a life without them, even with all of the bickering she heard each day.

"Stop complaining," [Name] sneered at the man who followed her from behind. It was her day off from work, but that didn't restrain Dazai from acting tenacious. Despite it being the late afternoon, she became mentally tired as if she literally dragged him through the streets of the shopping district in Yokohama city.

"But what's the point if you have no intention to buy anything?" Dazai loudly whined. Citizens strangely glanced at the pair, which made [Name] slightly move away from him like a stranger. She could see from one of the storefronts window how odd they appeared to be compared to other people passing by them.

She didn't know how, but Dazai managed to spot her walking around the city. Comparable to the stray dog that grew attached to her a couple of days ago, he relentlessly followed her. "That's the purpose of window shopping. If you're here to annoy me, then it's working."

"Is it wrong to accompany you on your day off?" Dazai cooed whilst walking closer to [Name]. Truly, any of his responses had the ability to provoke her.

"Yes!" She let out a bellow of aggravation, no longer caring if citizens viewed her as a maniac just like him. The only true maniac in this whole city was none other than Dazai.

[Name] heavily sighed when he beamed a smile, obviously untroubled by her vexation. She lightly rubbed the back of her neck and said, "I appreciate the fact that you decided to accompany me, but what's your reason for that?"

He remarkably didn't respond to her question. Instead of giving an expected ebullient answer, all he did was investigate the crowd forming behind her. Much to her bewilderment, his brown irises didn't seem to have that certain glint of light when he would usually talk to her. His lips formed a thin line when he concentrated, seemingly glaring at whatever was in the heap of the crowd. He couldn't disregard the presence of something malicious the moment he stepped foot out of the Agency. Tailing him, are we now? He presumed this entity didn't know the consequences of having Dazai Osamu as a target.

As usual, she thought this was one of his many ways to frustrate her. [Name] waved a hand in front of his face to get his attention. "Dazai, are you even listening to-"