Chapter 22: mistakes and ultimatums

I was anxious all day waiting to see what would Peter do or say. I half expected a drone to take us all out, but as the hours passed, nothing happened. Aidan and Grant were back in the swing of life here and I couldn't help but feel like I didn't belong anymore. I wanted to, but these people seemed like strangers. They had spent the past six months together. I had been across the country in that time.

So I sat on the front porch, looking out at the snowy hillside. Even the highway was covered; no way the hunters were driving out here today. The others were inside watching a movie; even my time with Stefa hadn't helped movies make any more sense.

"You look like you're expecting a hunter behind every snowflake," Mel noted, coming outside to sit next to me. She handed me a mug of cocoa and sipped from her own mug. "After our talk this morning, I hoped that you would be more content here."

"I will try," I promised. "But a lot as changed, Mel. I'm not out here because I'm avoiding the pack; I'm out here because I'm afraid that Peter is coming. The phone conversation with Grant didn't go well."

"Oh? When did they talk?"

"Before breakfast. I have a phone."

I showed her the phone, which of course had a new missed call from Stefa.

"You're ignoring her?" Mel inquired.

"No, I'm texting back," I replied. "I can't talk to her right now. I need time."

"Okay."

She didn't inquire further and put an arm around me.

"I missed the snow," I mentioned. "It's just icy near Chicago. Stefa told me we'd get snow soon, but of course, then we had to run."

"Ralph is planning on taking the pack down to get a couple Christmas trees, one for the house and one for the shop. But I think we should get one for the yard. Thoughts?"

"We'd never see it with all this snow," I remarked.

"I mean, we'd give it some lights and a tree topper. I was thinking a moon instead of some stars."

I snorted. "Maybe that's a bit on the nose."

I could hear a strange whirling sound in the wind. I didn't know what it could me; no way any vehicles would make it down the highway. Mel stood up as the sound grew louder.

"Well, you were right," Mel remarked. "Ever seen a helicopter?"

"On television," I told her. "Why?"

The sound grew to a dull roar as the helicopter began to land, debris and branches blowing around. Ralph came out of the door with confusion on his face. The blades slowed and Peter hopped out of the helicopter, followed closely by Tish and another hunter. I stood suddenly and pull my hand on Mel's shoulder.

"Go back inside," I requested. "I know you don't want to, but you have the pack to protect. Let me protect you."

"I'm going to get Grant," she said quietly.

I stepped off the porch and folded my arms over my chest. Peter, Tish and the other stopped, all pointing guns at me. I didn't care; they couldn't shoot me fast enough.

"Hello," I said. "We didn't invite you."

"You don't get to order us around, wolf," Tish snapped.

"Peter?" I ignored the woman for now.

"Conor, let us in," he said.

He sounded resigned; he wasn't the one calling the shots. I turned to the other hunter, a middle aged woman.