Grant: unwelcome vistor

I think the rings helped both of us. Aidan made an effort to spend time with Daria, and we could live a little longer without the other by our side. The pack was delighted with the boxing gloves I had purchased. I was also glad that it was less likely for them to beat me into a pulp. When anyone got a little hotheaded, Mel would send them out to the shop. Of course, it was usually me, but at least we had something.

"It's not fair," I grumbled, landing hit after hit in Aidan's mitts. He staggered back, but let me keep pummeling him.

"Grant, it has nothing to do with you. We're not ourselves at full moon; you know this."

"I don't want to get locked up. I can take care of myself."

Aidan frowned. "I know you can. But I don't trust us. This is only the second full moon with you around, the first without Conor. Just humor Mel?"

"You know as well as I that it was an order," I muttered.

"It's for less than twelve hours. Turtle, please."

I rolled my eyes and kicked the mitt in Aidan's hand. He had taken my pet names in stride, but countered with his own. His made less sense, but there was no use complaining about it. He'd call me Octopus or something dumber next. The pack thought it was hilarious and, for some reason, fitting. I didn't get how a turtle and I had anything in common.

"You'll have your tablet," he continued when I didn't say anything. "You have books. And it'll only be twelve hours. I'll make sure Mel makes brings some coffee for you."

"Are they worried I'm going to have the run of the place while they're gone?" I demanded. "That I'm going to bite someone stupid enough to come to our door? I just want to understand!"

I punched Aidan's mitt so hard he skidded back. Done with the whole mess, I ripped a boxing glove off and threw them to the ground. Aidan picked them up, hanging the pair neatly in the row of new gloves.

"They're worried I'll hurt you," he told me quietly. "They're worried that I'll forget myself and that I'll attack you. I'd never be able to forgive myself if that happened. So please. We'll come up with something better by next full moon, I promise. But I want you safe."

"You're not going to attack me," I scoffed.

"I'm not taking the risk."

He ruffled my hair and kissed me; I couldn't be mad at him like this. Our fingers intertwined as we headed up to the house.

"It's a little unfair that you don't get sweaty," Aidan mentioned.

"I mean, I'm dead; I don't know what's fair about it."

Aidan laughed and wiped his sweaty face on my shoulder. I rolled my eyes.

"You two good?" Mel inquired as we walked in.

"I'm always good," Aidan declared. "Do you think we could make some coffee for Grant before we head out?"

"Aidan, I'm fine," I protested. "I don't need..."

"If you want to make some, sure," Mel interrupted. "And take a blood pack down to the shop as well."

Aidan ground the coffee beans and I fetched a bag from the fridge. I didn't really like blood cold, but I felt much better about drinking it. The scars on Aidan's arms were still very present and I couldn't help but wish I hadn't marked him so. I set the bag in the small cooler and stood with Aidan watching the coffee drip into glass pot.

"I'll pour it into Ralph's big thermos," Aidan told me. "That way it'll stay hot."

He grinned and leaned over to kiss me. I wrapped my arms around him, but startled when I looked up into his yellow eyes.