Chapter Nineteen ⌔ Hush Hush

For recommending the perfect song for this ♥

-

Chapter Nineteen ⌔ Hush Hush

Coma.

"David? Sierra?" Lisa's panicked voice barely got our attention as I helped David out of his bed. "What's wrong, you two? Where are you going?"

Katrina in coma.

David hurriedly slipped on a pair of slippers I found under the bed and grabbed my hand before hurriedly moving past his frantic mother. Lisa reached out to grab his arm but he quickly dodged out of the way, grabbing his jacket on the way out.

"David!" Lisa was horrified, making me feel terribly guilty as she turned her stricken gaze towards me. I stared at her helplessly, unable to communicate with my hands busy.

"I'll be back soon, mom. I promise," David said as he gave me a glance. I nodded and gripped his hand tighter, noting how his temperature had fallen slightly. I felt relief whoosh through me at this; this had to be a good sign. Lisa started crying out his name again as we ran out of his room and made a beeline straight for the elevators. I tried not to run, in fear of exhausting David, but the boy had plans of his own. He impatiently yanked my arm to move faster, jumping into an elevator before the doors slid shut.

The people in the elevator grumbled a little as we accidentally pushed against them. David murmured apologies, pulling me closer to him.

Both of us stared at each other, worry in our eyes.

Katrina. She was hurt -no, even worse, she was in a coma.

The last text from Pepper frightened me and there was a constant pounding in my head. How bad was her condition? Was she alone? Was there anyone else who got hurt?

What happened?

When the elevator doors slid open, David and I hurried through the hospital halls to get outside. David put up his hoodie and avoided looking at anyone, choosing instead to keep his head lowered as he pushed past people.

There was a heart attack moment when we caught sight of his doctor talking to other patients. The doctor had glanced at us but David was quick to turn his face towards me, acting as though we were conversing.

I felt eyes boring holes in our backs as we tried to speed up the process of getting ourselves out of the hospital. The feeling of being watched made the few steps towards the glass door suddenly seem like a mile away. I clenched my jaw, hoping that we made it out of there before David's doctor realized that his patient was sneaking away.

Once outside, we both took a quick breather before David dragged me to his car, not bothering to check over his shoulder for his mother or possible chasers-like his doctor. We slipped in and David slammed on the gas pedal, causing the car to shoot forward.

I sent a text to Pepper, asking her for the address of the hospital that our friend was in. After the text was sent, I closed my eyes and gripped my phone tightly, hoping, praying that Katrina didn't get into a worse situation than she was in now.

God only knew how much the people who loved her will suffer.

*

The hospital address which was texted to me by Pepper took a while to reach. Pepper had texted me, informing me that Katrina's close circle were there at the moment. Pepper herself wasn't able to stay longer as her five year old siblings were going to be alone at home. David parked his car and killed the engine. I was quick to unbuckle my seatbelt and jump out of the car, but David seemed a little slower in his movements.