Chapter Ten ⌔ Nine Years

Chapter Ten Nine Years

David made me go for a walk with him. Instead of him usually talking and filling up the silence, he was quiet while we walked through the park, enjoying the cold weather and the sight of many children running around all bundled up.

I felt the heat from earlier gush into my cheeks every time my eyes flickered to him. It was strange, irritating and overwhelming. I glanced over my shoulder to see the little boy from earlier running around after the other kids, a big blue ball in his hands.

At least he's happy, I thought, shrugging slightly. I glanced briefly at David and quickly dropped my gaze when I noticed that he was looking at me.

Oh god, this is embarrassing. I sniffled and cleared my throat, bringing up my hand tug my beanie lower over my head. I could feel my heart beating a little too fast and it scared me that I had no idea how to calm down.

"Sierra," David caught my arm, making me let out a soundless squeal and jump in surprise. I quickly tried to stay calm, trying somehow to ease my erratic heart. I looked up at David and saw him give me a small smile. "Let's sit there, alright?" He pointed to a big tree and then gently pulled me towards it.

We walked over to the big tree and settled down on the grass beneath it. I shivered into my jacket, stuffing my hands into my pockets in an attempt to keep warm. I tried to keep my eyes downcast, feeling a little awkward.

Beside me, David settled down and also stuffed his hands in his pockets. I gazed over at him, wondering why he was always looking for some excuse to spend time together. Even before the accident, I wasn't one boys were interested in.

I was too withdrawn for my own good, always in the house. I was either always watching TV or studying. It's not that I didn't have free time; I just didn't get invited out a lot. My old friends didn't bother to invite me out because I would hardly pay attention to other people they invited.

Pepper and Anna were the only ones who used to come over daily. I swallowed a little. Used to.

My eyes ran over David's face as he took out his cell phone and started using it, chewing a little on his bottom lip. I quite liked his blue eyes; I found them endearing and warm.

"Is it weird that I made you come here and let us both freeze?" David asked as he looked up from his phone, his eyes meeting mine. I pursed my lips and then nodded. I reached into my bag and pulled out the notepad and pencil, flipping the page over to a new one.

It's okay, though. It's nice being outside once in a while.

David smiled as he read the words. "I actually brought you here because it's a calm and relaxing place."

I looked at him, feeling that he had a double meaning in that sentence. I scribbled down in the notepad and turned it to face him.

What?

"I wanted to help you..." David hesitated for a moment before continuing, his blue eyes never leaving mine, "Get over the deaths of your mother and sister."