Chapter Nine ⌔ Not Today

Chapter Nine Not Today

After that little speech from Eric and after the soup that Lisa had made me eat, I had trooped up to my cluttered bedroom and flung myself onto the bed, not caring that the stupid bed sheet was halfway off the bed.

My brain pondered about what Eric had said to me. He was sorry, he was selfish and he wanted forgiveness. I closed my eyes briefly at this, unsure what I felt about Eric determining to make it up to me.

Forgiveness... was letting everything go? Could I do that?

In all honesty, I didn't care to be part of a family so soon. I was still raw from the loss and I wasn't exactly looking to play 'happy families' again. I also didn't want to have to face David.

I felt terrible but not regretful for throwing stuff at him.

After crying my eyes out, my head was pounding with an almost unbearable headache. I squeezed my shut lids together in hopes of making the headache disappear.

No such luck, however.

I allowed the pounding headache to take over my senses as I drifted into oblivion, my eyes squeezed shut.

*

Ugh, the thought ran through my mind as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. My hair barely had any life in it, my eyes were still red and puffy and my face was pale. I licked my lips in hopes of getting some color in them.

My nose caught a whiff of eggs and burnt something. I glanced towards the door for a moment, before refocusing on my bathroom mirror.

On a slightly bright Saturday morning, my reflection was terrible. I took a deep breath as I ran my hand through my hair, wincing at how dry it felt. My cheeks were still sunken in and my grey eyes were dull.

I studied my reflection and noted the parts of me that weren't... attractive anymore.

I turned so that I had a side view of my body and lifted up my pajama top until just under my breasts and stared at my stomach. It wasn't just flat, it looked sunken in as well. My ribs and hip bones were jutting out in an unsightly manner, making me flinch at the sight; when did I lose so much weight?

I dropped my shirt to cover the jutting bones and turned to the shower; deciding not to let the shape of my body get to me.

After I made myself look as presentable as humanly possible in warm clothes, I left my room and quietly walked downstairs, gunning straight for the kitchen. It came to no surprise when I saw David already there, making eggs for breakfast. Or at least, trying to.

From where I stood, I could see a side profile of David and the little expressions he wore.

I felt a small smile creep onto my lips as I watched him cook. He looked positively cute as he silently cussed under his breath, using the spatula to lift up the egg... which looked soggy. I watched in amusement as the egg split and slipped right off the spatula and onto the stove.

"Are you serious?" David muttered in frustration as he tried several times to lift the broken soggy egg. When it became obvious that he had no chance, he threw down the spatula and crossed his arms childishly, glaring at the pan. "Stupid egg."

I was sure his bottom lip would jut out a little in a pout.

I laughed silently and then walked over to him, purposely making my footsteps loud. David instantly turned his head and when his eyes landed on me, I saw his cheeks turn pink with embarrassment.