Stepmother Dearest

Rebecca had come into Clarke's room after the kerfuffle that was let out in the living room.

"I know this is new to you and it is to me too. I shouldn't have said that I could never replace your mom." she said. 

Clarke looked up. 

"Can I tell you a secret?" Rebecca asked. Clarke nodded "Okay, I can't have any kids of my own. So when your dad told me that he had a daughter I was so happy. I thought of you as my own kid. I just really want us to work toward something really special." She gave Clarke a hug and left her bedroom.

After six months of her dad being married the relationship between Rebecca and Clarke was not getting any better. He had had to leave for a big unveiling with his company in Tokyo and was leaving Rebecca and Clarke alone for the first time. On the drive home from the airport, Rebecca tried to make small talk with Clarke, but she wasn't in the mood.

"I arranged for us to go on a camping trip with some other mothers and daughters," she told Clarke.

"Cool." she answered

When they got home Rebecca went inside and Clarke stayed out to play. As she was outside this man had walked up to Clarke and asked what she had been doing. Clarke got nervous and turned to go inside. Luckily Rebecca came outside and hit the guy with a pan "Stay the hell away from my daughter." She screamed as the guy ran away. They went inside Clarke was gripping onto Rebecca's hand for dear life.

"What you said outside..." Clarke began

"I meant stepdaughter." Rebecca interrupted.

"No, I kind of liked that. And thanks...Mom" she said as she went to her bedroom. 

Rebecca felt touched by Clarke calling her mom. A couple of days later They were off for their camping trip. They were up in the woods with a bunch of faces Clarke had never seen before. She thought it might be fun to get to know some new friends. She and Rebecca went to set up the tent. After that, the daughters were separated from the mothers for a little fun. The girls went star gazing and made smores and pretty soon it was time to come back to the tent. 

Rebecca wasn't there so Clarke went to go look for her. She finally found her and before she could walk up to Rebecca and her new group of mom friends she overheard the conversations that they were having.

 "Oh my god, when I was pregnant with Clarke. I had so much back pain. And the morning sickness was something else. But when she finally decided to make her debut she was just the perfect little angel." Rebecca articulated.

Clarke went to back into the bushes but stepped on some twigs and Rebecca heard her. Clarke began running and Rebecca followed her. Finally, she caught up to Clarke grabbing her by the arm. 

"Get off of me, your a liar. You are not my mom" wailed Clarke. Rebecca tightened the grip she had on Clarke's wrist. "You're hurting me she cried.

"Now listen. I have tried to win you over. I just want to be a good mom and you keep pushing me away." she began. Clarke looked into her eyes as she tried to free her arm. It was like something possessed Rebecca. "I am tired of you being the victim here Clarke. I am your mother and you are gonna listen and do as I say. You will obey your mother. Do you understand?" she hollered.

"Yes" Clarke managed to push out. 

"Yes, what?" Rebecca asked sternly.

"Yes, mommy" Clarke sobbed.

She finally let Clarke's had go, the other mothers came over and asked what had happened to Clarke's arm, noticing the purplish color it had become. Rebecca looked at Clarke.

"I fell running." Responded Clarke.