Chapter 53- Promise Me

Start from the beginning

So instead, she followed him down the hallway obediently, surprising Jacob.

Ashton heard footsteps coming down the stairs making him turn around. The sight made his heart drop.

Peyton was being dragged by the arm by Jacob. Her appearance saddened him. Her eyes were puffy and red. Even in the nonexistent light, he could see the tear trails and tell that she had been crying. Her shoulders were set in a slouch like there was a weight she was carrying, something she has never done before.

And her eyes. They were so tired and empty.

Although as soon as she saw Ashton, her eyes lit up slightly and she stood tall again. Even the corners of her mouth tilted up in the smallest of smiles.

It's only been about 3 days since she's been here, but even that can feel like an eternity when you've been in a small space and have no contact to the outside world.

"Let her go," Ashton demanded. His voice was cold and filled with finality. There was no room for discussion when it came to Peyton's safety.

"Already? No no," Jacob said as if he was addressing a young child. "The fun hasn't even started yet."

Jacob's eyes shined with happiness as he watched Ashton tense in front of him. He was enjoying this. He enjoyed watching other people in pain like it was some sort of sick entertainment. He was finally getting what he wanted.

"You want me, right? Here I am. Whatever you're gonna do, hurry up and get it over with."

"Be patient, my friend. Before we get into all that, Peyton has something she would like to tell you."

Jacob wrapped an arm around Peyton's neck and pulled her closer to him, so now she was standing right between the two men.

He wasn't holding on tight, but that didn't stop the little gasp from escaping her at the sudden contact.

"What are you talking about?" Peyton said quietly.

"I think you know. Something that has to do with a certain someone's brother," Jacob smirked at Ashton.

"What the hell are you saying? You don't know anything about Aaron."

"Oh I know him better than you think. I may even know more about him than you." Jacob knew Aaron was a sensitive topic for Ashton. He saw the clench in his jaw and knew he had hit a nerve; which is exactly what he wanted.

"Don't speak of him," Ashton said lowly.

"Peyton, why don't you tell Ashton what you've discovered?" Jacob tightened his hold around her neck slightly. Not too tight but enough to let her know that he wasn't joking.

She looked Ashton in the eyes and could see him silently pleading for her to tell him the truth. But she didn't want to. Not because he didn't deserve to know the truth, but because she was afraid that what she was about to say would break his heart.

"J-Jacob, he...he killed Aaron," she said in a small voice. But it seemed to have echoed throughout the silent room.

Ashton took an involuntary step back. He wasn't sure of what Jacob wanted her to tell him. He had no clue. But that was something that even he couldn't be prepared to take in.

Jacob killed Aaron.

But that was impossible.

"She's known for awhile now, Ashton. But she's decided to keep that little secret all to herself. Some girlfriend," Jacob scoffed.