Chapter 37- Magical

Chapter goal: 15 votes and 5 comments.

---

"Should I wear something fancy!"

"No! Nothing fancy! We want to keep it casual!" Mom yells from downstairs.

"Nothing fancy? Great! The one time I actually want to be fancy, she wants to be casual," I whine and play with the zipper of the dress I was holding.

Tonight was the night. The night I get to meet mom's boyfriend. To say I was a little shy and worried was an understatement.

"Stop fidgeting," Carmen snaps and slaps my hands away from the zipper I was playing with.

"But that's what I do best," I whine.

"Please stop worrying. Everything will be fine."

Meeting someone new isn't always bad. I mean, the first time I met Ashton's parents went smoothly and I wasn't nearly as nervous. But this was the man that my mom was in love with. The man that put that happy smile back on her face after everything bad that had happened to this family. The man that was the father to my little brother or sister.

I didn't want to do anything that would negatively affect the way he saw mom and I. Especially since he would be in my life from now on.

"Wear this," Carmen said holding a black dress in front of me.

As I reached out to grab the dress, she pulled it back and shook her head.

"Nah. It looks like you're attending a funeral. Sadly this dress is the only appealing piece of clothing you have in this closet," she muttered.

I shook my head at my friend disrespecting my closet full of bright clothing like that.

"Pink is still better than black," I muttered.

She turned around and put a hand on her hip, glaring at me.

"Do you want a repeat of 8th grade?" she asked.

I shook my head with wide eyes, remembering how back in 8th grade, we debated on which color was better; a debate I won by the way. It ended up with Carmen breaking into my locker and spray painting everything from pencils to textbooks black. Even the locker door!

Even after all that, I still won considering she got suspended for two weeks for defacing school property.

"Alright how about this? Not too fancy yet not too casual," she said holding up a simple pink skater dress.

"Perfect," I chirped while taking the dress.

Suddenly, the loud beeping from the smoke detector went off.

"Oh no! No, no, no!" I heard mom yelling from downstairs.

Carmen and I raced down the stairs and were immediately engulfed in smoke as we hit the bottom step.

I ran to the kitchen and saw mom opening the oven, which only added more smoke to the room.

"Mom! Get out! The smoke isn't good for you and the baby!" I shouted and pulled her away from the oven.

She groaned and headed for the living room, one hand on her stomach and the other over her nose and mouth.

Carmen came running over with the fire extinguisher, quickly putting out the small fire in the oven.