| Chapter 1 |

C a m p H a l f b l o o d
- C a b i n N i n e -
[ 4 : 0 1 p . m ]

"Are you done yet?"

"You know, funnily enough, Nico, not all giant flying warships can be made in an hour," said Leo Valdez absentmindedly, focused on the loose metal sheet held to the wooden skeleton of a boat by his left forearm. "Hand me that wrench, will you?"

Nico Di Angelo, scowling, held out a wrench to his friend and resident 'Repair Boy'. "When will it be ready?"

"Soon."

"How soon?"

"Soon enough."

"I was looking for a date."

Leo fastened the wrench around a bolt. "Might wanna rephrase that, Neeks. I doubt your boyfriend would like to hear you asking other guys out."

He snickered at the flustered spluttering that followed the mention of Will Solace, the son of Apollo, whom it was pretty obvious Nico had a crush on.

"You're such a jerk, Valdez," grumped Nico, crossing his arms.

"Guilty." Leo grinned cheekily and twisted the bolt a few times, smiling triumphantly when he brought his hand away from the metal and it held. "Woohoo! Who's awesome? I am!"

"You're still not done," stated Nico, rather obviously.

"No kidding, Sherlock. I only started today, I'm gonna need a few more days."

"You have a time limit," Nico reminded him.

"I know. I'll finish it by then, don't you worry your pretty little head about it," said Leo, setting down the wrench and smirking when Nico blushed a furious red. "Or maybe I won't, so you can spend a little more time with Willy Wonka down there."

"Leo!"

"That is my name, yes." Leo laughed, ducking to avoid a punch aimed at his arm. "Hey! Save the psychical stuff for Sun Boy!"

"I swear to Hades, Valdez —"

"Hey, do you hear that? I think Jason's calling me —"

"Jason is out with Piper!"

"Well, I guess he's back now! I should go, you know, can't ignore a call from the captain — Catch you later, alligator!" Leo flew out the door before Nico could grab him.

The son of Hades exhaled, rolling his eyes in a sort of fond exasperation as he stepped out of the cabin and watched Leo sprinting wildly towards the Big House, yelling random gibberish and flailing his arms around, frightening some of the younger campers.

Leo, Nico thought, shaking his head and starting off towards his own cabin, was one of a kind.

An involuntary smile tugged at the edge of his lips as the image he had just witnessed played over again in his mind.

Yes, Leo was definitely one of a kind.

And maybe that was a good thing.