Chapter 46

"Were you sitting in the bathtub? You're arms are so cold.", he rubs over them in an attempt to warm them, waiting for my reply. I nod, my face still tightly pressed against his chest.

"Do you want to sit there again, we could talk if you want to?", I shrug but he seems to know that I in fact wanted to. He slowly breaks the hug, taking my hand in his to lead me back to the bathtub and helping me to step back into the cold ceramic construction. He climbs in behind me, positioning himself so either one of his legs are around my body.

"Now, talk to me about what you're afraid of.", he wraps his arms around me, my chest pressed up against his back.

"I'm not afraid.", I sniffle, even though I'm not sure about that myself.

"Well, there has to be something, or else you wouldn't have panicked like that.", he continues to question, the grip around me tightening a bit.

"I'm just a bit uncomfortable, I guess.", I mumble, pulling my knees up to my chin.

"Sky, stop guessing or thinking or assuming. Just tell me what you're so scared of!", he didn't really raise his voice but it was enough to make me jolt in surprise and curl up even more.

"I just don't want it to happen again.", I press through gritted teeth, tears welling up again.

"What? You need to be more specific! Turn deaf again? What is it?", it's like he's talking to a child. I am the child and he's starting to get impatient with me.

"Please stop!", I bury my face in my knees, leaning out of his embrace slightly.

"No, I won't. You've trusted me enough to tell me about all the other things, why not let me in on this one as well?", by this point I started shivering again, hot tears dripping down my face. If he knew how I used to be... How I used to be to people around me... I'm sure he wouldn't want to be with me anymore.

"I was an asshole, okay!", I yell, gasping for air every few seconds. I can't panic again, the last attack was worse enough already.

"Explain.", his voice is softer now, knowing that he broke my first layer of defense.

"I-I... Just... I d-didn't care... A-about people... I-I was... Selfish.", I stutter, my whole body shaking like a leaf.

"But you're not like that anymore, so what are you worried about?", Nathan pulls me in closer and I willingly lean my head back against his shoulder.

"T-To be... Like that a-again... I j-just d-don't want to... Lose y-you.", admitting it brings relief yet also hurt. What if he'll back out of our relationship now that he knows? I don't know if I could handle that.

"So that's what got you so worked up?", I can hear him chuckle, feeling even more stupid and childish now. Tensing under the hand rubbing the side of my stomach, I squeeze my eyes closed.

"Skylar, calm down. There's nothing you have to worry about. I'm all yours.", his lips brush against my neck, a smile thinning them a bit.

"I know but still...", I give him more access by tilting my head away from him, shivering at the soothing touch. A sniffle escapes my throat every few seconds but I'd still calm down.

"No butts, except for your sweet one.", I blush at his words, a small grin forming on my face.

"Are you better now?", he asks, kissing my neck and shifting his legs differently.

"Y-Yeah.", we stay like this for another few minutes, no talking or other... Things, just sitting in the tub, hugging and waiting for my sniffling to slowly die down.