Chapter 3

"Hey twiny, how are you?", she gets up from the couch, stepping closer and throwing her arms around me. "Did the doctor say something?",Claire takes my hand and leads me to where she was previously sitting. "Well, there was one thing.", I feel overwhelmed all of the sudden even though there was nothing that could ignite this feeling. There's this pressure on my chest squeezing down on me in an uncomfortable manner. "So? Is it bad?", her eyes widen,revealing the intense blue in them that contrasted with her rather pale face and the pinkish taint on her cheeks. "Not exactly bad but I just don't know how to feel about it.", I scratch my head,flinching at the pain I cause myself. The past few days I've been scratching my head so badly I even bled once. Claire takes my hands in hers to keep me from repeating that, her thin eyebrows furrowed in worry. "Please tell me, I'm starting to creep out a little."

I take one last big breath, slowly blinking before looking her dead in the eye and telling her something we both won't believe. "Dr Sheppard told me there's a way to gain my hearing back.", I try to read her expression but it was simply empty, as if she didn't hear what I just said, like she's not here right now. I wait, not knowing what to say or do, maybe I should continue talking? Suddenly, the life and emotions shoot back in her face and her eyes widen yet again as she her mouth slowly opens. Thinking she's going to say something, I wait with the rest of the news until after she's done but all she does is open her mouth and stare at me for the next few seconds, the disbelieve clearly visible in her features.

"Are you for real?", I can already imagine what her voice might sound like, the high pitched, long drawn words and the little tongue click at the end she always did when she didn't believe what I was saying. I miss hearing her voice, listening to her talk all night long and keeping me from sleeping but never regretting it in the morning when I'm beyond tired. I miss our long phone calls even though we saw each other a few hours before that. We always had something to talk about,finding new things we wanted to share with each other. With this surgery things could go back to how they were, how they used to be."Yeah but he said that it could be risky.", her shocked expression smooths into a small smile. "Every surgery is risky,even the very simple ones.", she's right but in that case I'm the third person they're trying this on.

After I told her the whole thing her smile dropped a little and she seemed deep in thoughts. "So, what do you want to do? Do it or stay deaf for the rest of your life?", it sounds harsh the way she's putting it but it's the truth. Do it or stay deaf. What could possibly happen? Okay, they could injure my internal ear but it can't get worse than not being able to hear, right?

Do it or stay deaf.

Do it.

Or stay deaf.

Stay helpless, vulnerable, defenseless, scared, anxious. Stay deaf.

"I don't know, what if I don't wake up from the anesthesia?", I ask,trying to pry my hands out of hers to scratch my head again. "That's the most unlike scenario, Sky. Please don't make this unrealistic. You're healthy and young, why shouldn't you wake up?", she asks,an amused look on her face as she intertwines our fingers to secure my hands. "Don't make fun of this.", I pout, making my forehead wrinkle up. "I'm not making fun it but you shouldn't worry too much. These doctors are professionals, okay, they messed up that onetime but I'm sure they improved and fixed that mistake.", her thumb rubs over my hand, "I don't want to influence you or tell you what to do, so please take your time to think about it carefully." I nod at her words, softly smiling at her.

"But what about my parents and Nathan? Should I tell them right away or as soon as I made up my mind? I don't want to raise any false hopes, you know.", I sigh, leaning my shoulder on to the cushion of the couch,taking a few deep breaths as I glance through the room. We used to listen to music down here so we don't bother her dad with work, or drinking. He never actually liked me, probably because he thought we were dating and I'm not meeting his definition of a worthy man to be together with his daughter. As soon as I look back to Claire she continues to talk. It's funny how people get used to talking to me,just like Nathan, they wait until my attention is on them. So far,Claire is the only one that knows when I'm actually listening or just blankly staring at her.

"You should tell them, it's not like they're going to be disappointed if you don't do it.", she shrugs, letting go of my right hand to reach for her glass of water, taking a sip then holding it towards me. I shake my head even though my throat is starting to feel sore again. "I guess you're right.", nodding multiple times, we just stare at each other without saying anything for a few minuets. "Do you want to sleep over?", she asks, her usual smile back on her thin red lips. "I don't know, I kinda feel obligated to tell the rest of my family now.", I admit, exhaling over dramatically which earned me a light punch on my chest and a laugh. "Oh, now that I think about it, how are your hickeys doing?", she winks, smirking at the sudden redness that started to invade my face. "I have no idea what you're talking about.", I deny, pinching the bridge of my nose at the thought of that night after prom. "Let me at least see them, come on! The last time I had the fortune to lay my eyes on you, they were purple, red and what ever else and they looked like they hurt.", she can't help but break into a soft giggle.

"Well of course they hurt, you made sure to hit my chest as many times as possible that evening.", I scoff, receiving another light punch and an anticipating raised eyebrow. "They don't hurt anymore, idiot.",I can't surpass a grin at her ridiculous expression, like a cat waiting for the red dot to appear before it again. Hilarious. "Too bad. But still, show me!", she tries to pull at the hem of my shirt which I blocked with crossed arms and a warning look. "Please,please, please, please-", interrupt her by covering her mouth with my hand, closing my eyes for a second. "Can you just drop it already?", I ask, not feeling like stripping in front of her right now. "Well, I can see the one on your neck and it doesn't look that bad but I'm assuming Alex helped you cover it again.", she continues as soon as I remove my hand from her mouth. "You are assuming correctly, Sherlock.", I try to imitate a British accent,not sure if I succeeded or not. "Splendid, then let me have a closer look on your chest to determine who might have committed the crime of dirtying your body with love bites.", I can't help but laugh at the words she chose to use, wondering if she used an accent as well.

"No can do. I'm against nudity in public.", I raise my chin a little,like I'm looking down on her. "Well, I'll see the new ones sooner or letter. How about we go to the pool tomorrow? I can text Nathan and tell him to take good care of you the day before.", she winks again, giggling soon after. "Don't you dare, you evil woman."

In the end, I spend half of the day at her place, letting her drive me home around dinner time so I could tell them about the things Dr Sheppard had enlighten me with.

-------------------
Hey perverts! How are you guys doing? Let me know what you think of this chapter in the comments, I love to hear from you!