Chapter 1

This is the sequel to my book Deaf Wish, if you haven't read it, please stop making me anxious and read it first, you won't get anything if you skip it!

„It's going to be okay.", Nathan's hand grabs a hold of mine, a comfortable tingle crawling underneath my skin as his thumb rubs over mine. I nod,forcing myself to smile at him before adverting my gaze back at the clock. Time isn't working with me at the moment, every second feels like an eternity, every minute passing by with another wave of nausea, making me feel sick to the stomach. We've been waiting for the doctor to call us up for over an hour now, the waiting room getting emptier and emptier as most of these people were already there when we arrived. Since his call last week I've been extremely anxious about this day, he didn't enclose anything over the phone,the only thing he did say was that there's something he wants to check inside my ear. No idea what he's checking for. My mom and Alex are sitting across from me, my dad next to Nathan, my whole family wanted to be come with me to find out what Dr Sheppard could have been talking about. Another minute passes and the clock handle starts new round. I'm so scared of what's going to happen in the next few hours, of what he's going to tell me. Is there something wrong with me? Are there complications he just now found out about? I don't know! I don't know what I should or should not be thinking about. How long have we been waiting now? How much time has already passed since the last time I checked the time?

Sweat seems to be dropping out of every pore of my body, my hands beyond just being a little moist which makes me feel kinda bad for Nathan since he's still holding on to it. A sudden gentle tab on my shoulder makes me jolt in surprise, looking into my boyfriends worried eyes. "Can I get you something? Water or a snack?", he offers with a soft smile on his lips. "Water?", it's more a question than an actual answer but he still nods, placing a light kiss on the tip of my nose before getting up from his seat and heading outside of the room to the vending machines in the hallway. I rub my throbbing temples, glancing over at my sister who returns it with a sincere grin. "Are you okay?", she mouths, placing her phone on her lap to look at me more closely. I simply nod, not wanting to engage in any kind of conversation with anyone except for my boyfriend whom I'm still waiting for.

In the past week I may have gotten a little too attached to him but ever time he wasn't with me I felt vulnerable and exposed to the outside. This used to be the case with Claire, still kinda is just not as persistent. I spend most of my time with him, either at my place or at his, it's like he's my last piece of sanity, the last string that's capable of holding me together and preventing me from shattering. Hopefully, he won't get tired of me being so clingy, of needing him more than I could ever describe. I stare intensely at the door, watching Nathan reenter the room with a bottle of water and a bag of Doritos,grinning at me as he takes his seat next to me and holds the bottle towards me. "Thank you.", I didn't realize how sore my throat is but as I see the cold liquid there's a sudden longing for it. I open the cap and take a tiny sip which immediately cooled it a little. Nathan takes my hand in his, intertwining our fingers while eating chips with the other. He reaches one piece towards me, smiling like an idiot even as I absently shake my head. Instead, I take another sip of my water, bigger this time and continue to stare at the clock on the grayish walls. The handles have barely even moved since I last checked.

Although my staring session wasn't for long when suddenly every one of my family members get up and look at me with anticipation written all over their faces. Nathan rises from his seat as well, pulling me to my feet with him and pointing at the brunette doctor standing at the door with a warm and welcoming smile. So this is actually it, after almost three years I get to see him again, let alone walked into this building. "Skylar,it's good to see you.", he's the only person I couldn't convince of my ability to read lips since he keeps on signing everything his saying but actually voicing too, for the people with me. "Uhm, hey Dr Sheppard.", I cling to my boyfriends hand, more than before, and almost squeezing it to death. It's not like he's unfriendly or anything, in fact it's the opposite, even though he's still such a young doctor there's this aura around him which makes him appear older, more mature and definitely wiser. He's one of the nicest people I know but he was the one to tell me about my hearing loss and although it wasn't even his fault I kinda blamed him for it, like it was his fault I couldn't care less to seek medical attention. His warm dark brown eyes drop down to the hand holding mine, coming right back up to my face. "I see you brought your boyfriend. I'm Dr Sheppard, it's nice to meet you.", he reaches out his left hand,since Nathans right was occupied with mine as they both shook hands."Oh, my brothers son is called Nathan as well.", he continues, I didn't even bother to look back and forth, I'm too anxious right now anyway. "Then let's get you checked, I may or may not have some important news for you, Skylar.", he focuses back to me before leading my whole squad and myself to his patient room after saying hello to the rest of them.